Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default More on the Segway

Bob in Phx wrote:

Pete, the bike thing has been tried time and time again. It doesn't work.
But what does work is the fact most of the students and staff ride some sort
of thing in from the parking lots, early in the mornings. Some skateboards,
some push scooters, some bikes....etc...

I'll note that all the items you mentioned are human powered.

Now I don't know if you have ever lived in phoenix AZ, but it gets bloody
hot here, so getting from air conditioned building to air conditioned
building, without working up such a sweat that no one would like to be in
the same room with you , is not easy.

I'm in Texas, and it gets hot here too, perhaps with a little more
humidity. I don't find it to be an issue getting from building to
building or parking lot to building.

Thus the segway.
Or the gem carts if you have to move tools and supplies around (I keep about
350 pounds of stuff in the locked cabinet on the back of my Gem) The Segway
and or Gems, get us from point A to point B quickly, reliability, safely and
they are fun. So, Bottom line is that trendy does not enter into it. and I
don't appreciate that comment or the tone of your other comments... Have a
nice day......

Trendy sure does enter into it, the trend away from routine exercise
which is a big contributor to the obesity issues in the US. If the trend
keeps up we'll end up a country of "power chair" users who can barely
get on and off the dang things. Considering how recent the Segway is,
they sure aren't essential and people have survived the conditions you
indicate just fine for decades.