Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is your technique for seting lathe compound at a precise angle?

I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

You start with a piece with that known taper mounted in the lathe and centered.
Then you mount a dial test indicator in the toolpost and crank the compound rest
back and forth watching the needle (indicating the taper, obviously). When the
needle doesn't move, you have matched the taper.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. Â*I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

Fairly precise? With the engraved numbers on the cross slide.
Preciser? With a cylindrical round in the chuck, a dial indicator on the
compound and feeding a known distance with the compound. The rest is math.

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Mueller wrote:

Wes wrote:

I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. *I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

Fairly precise? With the engraved numbers on the cross slide.
Preciser? With a cylindrical round in the chuck, a dial indicator on the
compound and feeding a known distance with the compound. The rest is math.

That will work. Engraving on compound feed crank wheel gives me the
hypotenuse, indicator gives me one of the legs and then right angle trig.

That is the solution I was looking for.

Thanks Nick,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

Wes wrote:

I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

You start with a piece with that known taper mounted in the lathe and centered.
Then you mount a dial test indicator in the toolpost and crank the compound rest
back and forth watching the needle (indicating the taper, obviously). When the
needle doesn't move, you have matched the taper.

GWE

I have used that technique before. Nick answered what I was really looking
for which was setting up for a taper where I don't have a sample to work
from.

Thanks,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

Thanks,

How precise? There should be a protractor marked on the
compound, easily settable to 1/2 deg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

Thanks,

Wes

A guy I used to work with had a sine bar that had a base which was
mounted between centers. The actual sine bar was hinged. I think he
held the gage blocks and all together with rubber bands. I suppose he
used a dead center under pressure to keep everything from moving.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:

A guy I used to work with had a sine bar that had a base which was
mounted between centers.

**Dammit**! That is the super-precision way I have been looking for since
long!

Thanks a lot!

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Mueller wrote:
Randy Replogle wrote:

A guy I used to work with had a sine bar that had a base which was
mounted between centers.

**Dammit**! That is the super-precision way I have been looking for since
long!

Thanks a lot!

Nick

You're welcome.
I think the guy made this himself. I've never seen one before or after.
Never in a tool catalog.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RCM: