Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rotary phase converters

Hi
I am thinking of getting a rotary phase converter from Temco to drive
my Cincinnati mill. In particular I am considering the 6500-11KW or
6500-15KW units. http://www.phaseconverter.com/
Has anyone used these and would care to comment on them. I believe
that if I went with these I would have enough to also run a 3ph lathe
if I found one I liked. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:48:23 -0500, spamkill at charter dot net wrote:
Hi
I am thinking of getting a rotary phase converter from Temco to drive
my Cincinnati mill. In particular I am considering the 6500-11KW or
6500-15KW units. http://www.phaseconverter.com/
Has anyone used these and would care to comment on them. I believe
that if I went with these I would have enough to also run a 3ph lathe
if I found one I liked. Thanks

I do not like them due to their very aggressive self marketing on
wikipedia. Otherwise their converter will work. Consider installing a
VFD instead of a phase converter. You may gain some functionality by
going the VFD route (variable speed, electric braking, slow
acceleration, and reversal), save money, electric bills, and reduce
noise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you're going to *buy* an RPC, do as Iggy says and get a VFD instead.
MUCH better for the same money or cheaper!!

Few people here buy RPC's. An RPC is just a 3 phase motor with some
capacitors and a relay or 2. Minimum is just the motor, a cap, and a
push button switch. That's what mine is. Works fine. No, wait the
minimum is just the motor and a pull-strap to get it going 8-) There is
an endless list of build-yer-own-RPC posts in the archives.

And as Bob said, find your motor size, so you don't over buy or build.
The referenced RPC's are likely 10 times what you need (15 & 20 hp).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why not consider a single phase 220 motor? Mills don't have a high starting
torque requirement, and mills have more than adequate gearboxes for speed
selection. My 1929 Kempsmith has something like a dozen spindle speed
selections with a flip of the levers.

Besides, horizontal mills were designed for constant input shaft speed. If
you change speeds with a VFD you will affect the feed rate at the same time
as the feed gearbox is run from a PTO off the input shaft. (at least on the
older machines).

Tony

"spamkill at charter dot net" wrote in message
Hi
I am thinking of getting a rotary phase converter from Temco to drive
my Cincinnati mill. In particular I am considering the 6500-11KW or
6500-15KW units. http://www.phaseconverter.com/
Has anyone used these and would care to comment on them. I believe
that if I went with these I would have enough to also run a 3ph lathe
if I found one I liked. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--FWIW I'm a fan of Phase-a-Matic stuff. I've had a solid state one
on my Bridgeport for 30 years with no problems and I've had a rotary for
maybe 20 years; intermittent use but again no problems. Another thing I like
about them: they sell the solid state ones as kits. Website:
http://www.phase-a-matic.com/

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

is it possible you are confusing Solid State with "no moving parts"? every
phase-o-matic thing I've looked at had capacitors and relays but no solid
state components - or did I miss something?
"steamer" wrote in message
--FWIW I'm a fan of Phase-a-Matic stuff. I've had a solid state one
on my Bridgeport for 30 years with no problems and I've had a rotary for
maybe 20 years; intermittent use but again no problems. Another thing I
like
about them: they sell the solid state ones as kits. Website:
http://www.phase-a-matic.com/

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spamkill at charter dot net wrote:

Hi
I am thinking of getting a rotary phase converter from Temco to drive
my Cincinnati mill. In particular I am considering the 6500-11KW or
6500-15KW units. http://www.phaseconverter.com/
Has anyone used these and would care to comment on them. I believe
that if I went with these I would have enough to also run a 3ph lathe
if I found one I liked. Thanks

If you are going to spend money for new get the VFD. I'm using a rpc since
I got a 5hp one for free.

Wes

Phase Converters JB Metalworking 58 July 28th 05 03:44 PM
Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 08:07 AM
Different RPM Loads on Rotary Phase Converters Artemia Salina Metalworking 4 September 5th 04 09:37 PM
Rotary phase converters Weyland Metalworking 0 March 14th 04 09:35 PM
Phase Converters vs. VFDs JMartin957 Metalworking 7 October 30th 03 02:13 PM