Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default double seal/quad rings vs Orings

I'm trying to repair the slave cylinder on my Clausing 6903 lathe. The
lathe has a varidrive that the motor side is moved by a small cylinder using
a combination of a lip seal and a couple of small orings.

From what I have read the slave cylinder is problimatical as far as leakage.
While cruising the McMaster site I saw double seal orings which I've always
called quad rings. Since the weekend is coming and I'd like to play with my
new to me lathe, I ordered both standard orings and the quadrings. Which
one do you think I should try first?

I ordered them in viton, will run in Mobil DTE 24 in case anyone cares.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
I'm trying to repair the slave cylinder on my Clausing 6903 lathe. The
lathe has a varidrive that the motor side is moved by a small cylinder using
a combination of a lip seal and a couple of small orings.

From what I have read the slave cylinder is problimatical as far as leakage.
While cruising the McMaster site I saw double seal orings which I've always
called quad rings. Since the weekend is coming and I'd like to play with my
new to me lathe, I ordered both standard orings and the quadrings. Which
one do you think I should try first?

I ordered them in viton, will run in Mobil DTE 24 in case anyone cares.

Wes

When I rebuild hydraulic cylinders I try to replace the O rings with
quad rings. They are better than O rings because of the two lip seals
rather than one seal of the O ring. They work better for moving parts.
For just a static seal like on an end cap O rings work fine.
You may have to remachine the groove to accomodate the quad ring.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote in :

I'm trying to repair the slave cylinder on my Clausing 6903 lathe.
The lathe has a varidrive that the motor side is moved by a small
cylinder using a combination of a lip seal and a couple of small
orings.

From what I have read the slave cylinder is problimatical as far as
leakage. While cruising the McMaster site I saw double seal orings
which I've always called quad rings. Since the weekend is coming and
I'd like to play with my new to me lathe, I ordered both standard
orings and the quadrings. Which one do you think I should try first?

I ordered them in viton, will run in Mobil DTE 24 in case anyone
cares.

Wes

Quad ring all the way if it were me. Two seals for the price of one and a
bit. As John said, you may need to re-machine the groove.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

When I rebuild hydraulic cylinders I try to replace the O rings with
quad rings. They are better than O rings because of the two lip seals
rather than one seal of the O ring. They work better for moving parts.
For just a static seal like on an end cap O rings work fine.
You may have to remachine the groove to accomodate the quad ring.

Any tips on where to find data on what groove dimensions should be? I
checked my 26ed Machinery Handbook already.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

john wrote:

When I rebuild hydraulic cylinders I try to replace the O rings with
quad rings. They are better than O rings because of the two lip seals
rather than one seal of the O ring. They work better for moving parts.
For just a static seal like on an end cap O rings work fine.
You may have to remachine the groove to accomodate the quad ring.

Any tips on where to find data on what groove dimensions should be? I
checked my 26ed Machinery Handbook already.

Wes

http://www.afmusa.com/doc_generator.asp?doc_id=3251

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

Wes wrote:

john wrote:

When I rebuild hydraulic cylinders I try to replace the O rings
with quad rings. They are better than O rings because of the two
lip seals rather than one seal of the O ring. They work better for
moving parts. For just a static seal like on an end cap O rings
work fine.
You may have to remachine the groove to accomodate the quad ring.

Any tips on where to find data on what groove dimensions should be? I
checked my 26ed Machinery Handbook already.

Wes

http://www.afmusa.com/doc_generator.asp?doc_id=3251

Here is another page on that site that tells about the groove and
installation of them.

http://www.afmusa.com/doc_generator.asp?doc_id=2582

On a rotary joint prelube the ring or you will burn it up before the oil
gets to it.

John