Terry

Default resistance heaters

Is anyone familiar with a small heater ( dime or quarter size ) that
will heat to a set point and then hold
that temp without a thermostat. I had some samples of them a few years
back but can't remember the
company that made them or what they were called.

Terry
Jim Stewart

Terry wrote:
Is anyone familiar with a small heater ( dime or quarter size ) that
will heat to a set point and then hold
that temp without a thermostat. I had some samples of them a few years
back but can't remember the
company that made them or what they were called.

Google PTC heater (Positive Temperature Coefficient)

I thought Raychem made such a thing, but I
couldn't find it. Maybe they did before the
Tyco overlords took over...

Martin Whybrow

"Terry" wrote in message
om...
Is anyone familiar with a small heater ( dime or quarter size ) that
will heat to a set point and then hold
that temp without a thermostat. I had some samples of them a few years
back but can't remember the
company that made them or what they were called.

Terry

Search for 'heat trace'; these are self regulating heating elements, usually
in the form of a 2 core cable, used to protect water pipes from frost.
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Leslie Watts

Terry,

I developed the polymer ptc heater used in auto side mirror defrostng
heaters. There are some
patent references in my engineering link below. (click links)

I think what you are refering to though is a ceramic device commomnly used
for
motor overtemp protection and tv crt degaussing. It is about the size of a
quarter...
and costs about a quarter in large quantities. MuRata makes a lot of them.

Les Watts

http://www.lmwatts.com

"Terry" wrote in message
om...
Is anyone familiar with a small heater ( dime or quarter size ) that
will heat to a set point and then hold
that temp without a thermostat. I had some samples of them a few years
back but can't remember the
company that made them or what they were called.

Terry

Gunner

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:05:24 -0400, "Leslie Watts"
wrote:

Terry,

I developed the polymer ptc heater used in auto side mirror defrostng
heaters. There are some
patent references in my engineering link below. (click links)

I think what you are refering to though is a ceramic device commomnly used
for
motor overtemp protection and tv crt degaussing. It is about the size of a
quarter...
and costs about a quarter in large quantities. MuRata makes a lot of them.

Les Watts

http://www.lmwatts.com

way cool thing and with your name too!

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability,
accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose
and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee,
imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any
particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or
responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect
to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by
any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it
into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts
that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other
agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within
five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or
by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron
who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece
of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a
bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Jon Elson

Terry wrote:
Is anyone familiar with a small heater ( dime or quarter size ) that
will heat to a set point and then hold
that temp without a thermostat. I had some samples of them a few years
back but can't remember the
company that made them or what they were called.

Terry

How about Minco?

Jon

Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters John Smith UK diy 31 July 11th 04 01:17 PM
Flat panel heaters Tom Miller UK diy 5 January 8th 04 05:30 PM
storage heaters DavidD UK diy 1 December 17th 03 11:41 AM
Conservatory Heaters Peter Richards UK diy 6 October 29th 03 08:46 AM