Sunworshiper

Default can't pass up usefull trash

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:52:17 -0400, "Jeff Sellers"
wrote:

Walt said brilliantly:

I like watching guys garbage pick my garbage picked stuff... they look so di
ssapointed when all the usefull craps gone! g

snip

Thats funny as hell !!

I think i've had that look a few times....

This is one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read, and all too
true.

The amount of stuff that goes into landfill is criminal !!! I do commercial
office remodeling and what gets dumped is amazing. The biggest I can
remember was a real large moving file system...had to be worth $50,000 at
least...taken apart and tossed into dumpsters...damn near killed me !!

I have rescued bunches of networking equipment and made some tidy money
selling it off on Ebay, and the buyers got REAL good deals also.

I scored a big Bosch Electric Demo Hammer with case that was on its way to
the dumpster. It needed one of the brushes popped back into place !!! Works
Perfect!!

OK Now......

Vent On

These A**holes that guard the garbage dumps should be run out of
town....along with the ones that come up with such STUPID legislation.
Hearing things like this makes me wonder what the f*** are they thinking ???
We need More garbage, or what...Useless Know Nothing *******s !!

Vent Off

Ahh, that feels better now, thanks....

Jeff

One time at the dump where it has signs everywhere that you can't pick
up anything one of the workers in a orange jump suit is digging in a
box that he dumped over. The pile was full of nice metal stuff , I
finished unloading my truck and he moved away from a brand new diamond
blade so I just picked it up quick and walked away and he called me
back and took it from me and tossed back in. Looked to be worth about
$200 and he had a arm load of stuff he wanted.

I show up in neighborhoods for my job in the morning and am just
thrilled to see that its garbage day ! I'll stick the truck in second
and idle around for the hunt. I avoid digging , but if its readily
available its mine. Once I found a nice Toro mover and was just about
to hurt my back to toss it in the truck for the father-in-law and
noticed some landscape guys down the street. Ooops almost stole their
equipment. That would be hard to explain to the cops. " Honest its an
addiction, it was placed just like trash, I wouldn't steal a piece of
bubble gum."
Martin H. Eastburn

Very Nice toy as well in the www there!

Good job of fixing her up.

Martin

Greg O wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message

You definitely have to other things as well. Just fixing mowers

won't cut the mustard.

Yup! Just mowers will kill you quick, certainly around here! I did do pretty
much anything I could to make a buck! The winters here are hard on a small
shop with limited equipment. I would go from haveing two or three guys
working for me in the summer, to having zero work to do in the winter. I did
some welding and metal fabricating but it seemed that work also followed the
seasons.
Also the area I live in is heavily zoned. You don't just open a repair shop
in your back yard, not one of any size anyway. I do some repairs in my shop
in the evenings and weekends, but I need to keep it low key. My neighbor was
turned into the city for working an cars in his garage, and so have I. The
funny thing was when I was turned in I was not working on other peoples
stuff, just my own, which the city can do nothering about! I spent the
better part of the summer getting my grandpa's old John Deere restored for a
antuque equipment show. Check out http://myweb.cableone.net/goo1959/jd.htm#a
for a couple of pics. The day the inspector stopped by I had the tractor on
a trailer, hooked up to a motor home, all ready to leave for the show. I was
at work, but he mailed a letter and I talked to him on the phone later. He
just laughed it off, said he knew what I was doing!
Greg

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

wallster wrote:

I'm here to admit my addiction. If i'm driving along and i see a discarded
lawnmower or mechanical something, i have to stop and will most likely take
it. I just cant seem to pass up something that can be made to work again in
one way or another. Most of my tool carts have old wheels on them that i
found thrown away. I have also sold a couple of dozen lawnmowers over the
years that needed a little tlc to get them running. How many other people in
this newsgroup stop and pick up discarded stuff?

walt
http://www.nykeglawsucks.com
To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems.
-Homer Simpson

we all probably do.. the best laugh i had was when i stopped by the rear
of a Sears Store and you could see the wheels of a new lawnmower
sticking up from the trash.. had to stop and checked it out... well the
wheels were plastic and broken (all four of them)..no problem... then i
looked at the gas tank, split open plastic.. the i looked at the control
cables, all pulled apart and the wires cut in several places... the
plstic top cover of the new mower was also pulled off the broke, the
heat of the engine had the fins on it broken off.... it either fell of
the top shelf in storeage or the manager got mad and went to it with a
maul.... a real no nothing.... but they threw it away... i could find
nothing good on that mower and just passed on that one, but it looked
brand new, still had the stickers from the store on it.....
Jeff Sellers

wrote in message

snip

heat of the engine had the fins on it broken off.... it either fell of
the top shelf in storeage or the manager got mad and went to it with a
maul.... a real no nothing.... but they threw it away... i could find
nothing good on that mower and just passed on that one, but it looked
brand new, still had the stickers from the store on it.....

I think alot of stores damage throwaway items on purpose to keep the
scumbags from getting it and trying to return for cash....I got a buddy that
works at a local Home Depot and thats what they do.....really ****es me off
some of the stuff I hear about.

They have "people" that buy things one day, return it the next day, and then
come back and try to buy the item at a discount !!!

I must be too honest, cause I couldn't even come up with some of these ideas
!!
Another example of the dickheads ruining it for the rest of us !!

Jeff

Old Nick

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:08:55 +0200, "Åmund Breivik"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

while those that have
large and bumby lawns buy the cheapest mowers available. And damned near all
lawnmower buyers are useless bloody morons who should not be allowed to own
anything more advanced than a scythe ;-)

Thus putting you out of work and increasing the income of surgeons?

The ones with small lawns and expensive mowers call in every summer
complaining the mower won't start, and every time it turns out to be
something silly like forgetting to put fuel in the tank or opening the
stopcock. We have one repeat complaining customer who can never get her

I once "repaired" a tape recorder by replacing.....no...sorry..
........_installing_ the batteries. Serious.
Old Nick

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:41:38 GMT, Gerald Miller
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Guy across the street has an interesting approach to mowing. He waits
till the grass is about 8-10 inches high and it is raining lightly, he
starts the mower and proceeds to cut in a clockwise pattern such that
the discharge is directed toward the uncut grass. When the shroud
fills up and stalls the engine, he tries to re-start it several times
with the recoil starter, then takes it over to the driveway and
bounces it off the concrete until enough grass falls out to allow the
engine to run for a couple more rounds of the forty foot square lawn.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Yer? And? G
Old Nick

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:51:08 -0400, "Jeff Sellers"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Boy! Most of the instances I have seen, they put it back on the
friggin shelf and sell it again!

The scumbags are on both sides of the market.

There was this couple in a Bunnings (Oz HF, and be careful who you are
buying from in USA) who had a chaninsaw that had a tag on the upper
handle. It was faulty. the female half was really panting to get into
a fight, and managed to do so, with store guys who were simply
standing there. Bull terrier type, she was.....

But she had a point. AFAICFO, (not hard, the whole bloody shop could
hear this) the saw was on the shelf, last available. The couple were
reassured that the sticker bit was OK, the saw had been through
service and was fully finctional.

It wasn't. Betting is, it had simply been plonked back on the shelf.

I have actually returned an item of electronic eqipt, and specifically
said that it was stuffed. Do NOT put it back on the shelf. I came back
1/2 hour later and there it was.....

I think alot of stores damage throwaway items on purpose to keep the
scumbags from getting it and trying to return for cash....I got a buddy that
works at a local Home Depot and thats what they do.....really ****es me off
some of the stuff I hear about.

They have "people" that buy things one day, return it the next day, and then
come back and try to buy the item at a discount !!!

I must be too honest, cause I couldn't even come up with some of these ideas
!!
Another example of the dickheads ruining it for the rest of us !!

Jeff

jim rozen

In article , Old Nick says...

I have actually returned an item of electronic eqipt, and specifically
said that it was stuffed. Do NOT put it back on the shelf. I came back
1/2 hour later and there it was.....

I've been known to etch NFG on defective goods I've
returned, or to snip wires off of potted assemblies.

I figure I'm doing them a favor. No reputable
dealer or manufacturer would want to deliberately
deceive a customer. But the realities are, sometimes
returned goods get "mis-filed" and make their
way back into the stuff for sale. So I do them
a favor and shortstop that.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Gerald Miller says...

Guy across the street has an interesting approach to mowing. He waits
till the grass is about 8-10 inches high and it is raining lightly, he
starts the mower and proceeds to cut in a clockwise pattern such that
the discharge is directed toward the uncut grass. When the shroud
fills up and stalls the engine, he tries to re-start it several times
with the recoil starter, then takes it over to the driveway and
bounces it off the concrete until enough grass falls out to allow the
engine to run for a couple more rounds of the forty foot square lawn.

You must live right across the street from me!

Jim

please reply to:

Joel Corwith

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:41:38 GMT, Gerald Miller
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Guy across the street has an interesting approach to mowing. He waits
till the grass is about 8-10 inches high and it is raining lightly, he
starts the mower and proceeds to cut in a clockwise pattern such that
the discharge is directed toward the uncut grass. When the shroud
fills up and stalls the engine, he tries to re-start it several times
with the recoil starter, then takes it over to the driveway and
bounces it off the concrete until enough grass falls out to allow the
engine to run for a couple more rounds of the forty foot square lawn.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Wait, you guys run lawn mowers around the yard? Doesn't that shoot the
green painted rocks everywhere?

Joel. phx

Yer? And? G

SteveB

My ex-mother-in-law was once a garage sale freak. Addicted to garage sales.

One day, she stopped at a garage where the door was open, and it was full of
treasures. She was walking through it when the owner came out and asked
something like - what the f*** do you think you are doing?

Isn't this a garage sale?

No, now get the f*** out of here!

I think that is when she went for help. ;-)

Steve

Don Bruder

In article ,
" wrote:

wallster wrote:

[...]

That's another classic "dog in the manger" outfit.

"Boss, there's a chip on the floor model. How can we sell that?"

"Easy, we don't. Write it off, then take a hammer to it and toss it in
the dumpster."

The mower you found was deliberately mangled, specifically to stop
dumpster divers from pulling it out and fixing whatever minor problem it
might have had. The logic is *SOMETHING* like "If they can pull it out
of the dumpster, why would they spend any money in here?", which, to be
honest, does make a certain amount of sense, but only if you're such a
greedy prick that you'd try to put a price sticker on the dust-bunnies
at a going out of business sale.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Gerald Miller

On 11 Jul 2004 08:10:14 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gerald Miller says...

Guy across the street has an interesting approach to mowing. He waits
till the grass is about 8-10 inches high and it is raining lightly, he
starts the mower and proceeds to cut in a clockwise pattern such that
the discharge is directed toward the uncut grass. When the shroud
fills up and stalls the engine, he tries to re-start it several times
with the recoil starter, then takes it over to the driveway and
bounces it off the concrete until enough grass falls out to allow the
engine to run for a couple more rounds of the forty foot square lawn.

You must live right across the street from me!

Jim

I suspect, that if she saw you mistreating an IC engine in this
manner, Ms. Mulligan would take corrective action in a timely manner!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:29:53 GMT, Old Nick
wrote:

I once "repaired" a tape recorder by replacing.....no...sorry..
......._installing_ the batteries. Serious.

The backup power unit on this computer was repaired by pressing the
reset button.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

pyotr filipivich

If it ain't useful, it is trash.

I stop for useful stuff, even if sometimes I have to go out of my way
to double back. (Have you ever tried to snag a leather welding coat from
the middle lane of a freeway? "Sprint grasshopper, Speed is essential."
Not to mention fear is a good motivator.
Not to mention the time I snagged 9 cases of fresh corn on the cob,
still in the box. "Picked it myself, fresh off the truck!"

I've been tempted a couple times to try and get the busted up ladder by
the Jersey barrier in the middle - hey, it's "scrap aluminum", but the
timing doesn't seem right. (Traffic, my schedule.)
--
pyotr filipivich.
Wayne Cook

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:08:55 +0200, "Åmund Breivik"
wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
.. .

That's for sure. A long time ago mowers was my main business. Back
when I started out my fixit shop I did a lot of mowers and managed to
make a living as a bachelor. I still do mowers though it's definitely
the low priority part of my business. The fact is about 3/4 of the
time it's possible to make some money on a mower. The problem is that
the other 25% cause such a loss that they eat into the profits of the
good ones real fast.

My dad used to sell mowers, and had to carry out warranty repairs and
otherwise help the customers service the things. I was (and am still, for
old customers) often given the task of fixing mowers that the customers
couldn't get to run properly. What we've observed is that the amount people
are willing to spend on a mower is inversely proportional to the size of
their lawn and the difficulty of mowing it. For some reason, those who have
small, tidy, flat-as-a-billiard-table gardens buy the expensive
self-propelled mowers that never develop any problems, while those that have
large and bumby lawns buy the cheapest mowers available. And damned near all
lawnmower buyers are useless bloody morons who should not be allowed to own
anything more advanced than a scythe ;-)

Pretty good synopsis. :-)

Long story made reasonably short: about half of all lawnmower repairs are
laughably simple, but take so little time to accomplish that I can't with a
good conscience charge much money for them. The rest would be more expensive
than buying a new mower, and preferally one that is actually capable of
mowing the customer's lawn without breaking. Since I can't/won't charge
money for the "repairs" that are worthwile and won't do repairs that aren't,
there's no money to be made from this whatsoever.

Actually that's the real secret. You have to charge money for the
simple repairs so that they cover the ones that you loose on. For
example I get a straight $45 for carb rebuilds now. About 1/4th time
that's not enough but the rest of the time it's to much. But if I
didn't average it over the whole I would end up loosing. The fact is
you can't get much more than $45 for most push mowers and that
especially goes for weed eaters. Most of the time a rebuild can be
done in 15-30min (though some seem to get getting harder) which makes
the $45 pretty good money. But there will always be those hard core
cases that refuse to repair properly. Whether it's the float not
wanting to seal or any number things it's entirely possible to take
several hours to get all the bugs worked out reliably. Thus the flat
rate helps recover from the tough cases.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Joel Corwith

That reminded me of something my wife told me. I've been working on a
canopy bed for my daughter, pretty little hearts in the headboard and all...
With all the crap (and flammable crap at that) in the garage, I generally
weld n grind in the driveway, so project pieces are at times visible from
the street, or on the side of the house. Round bulk collection time some
lady ran the bell to ask my wife if we were putting the bed out for
collection. I'm not sure if that was a complement or insult!

Joel. phx

And come to think of it, one time I was cleaning to get to the welder and
someone asked if he could still look knowing we were closing. HuH? That
sale is down the block. The look on his face as he glanced around again was
"maybe, but it SHOULD be here"!!

"SteveB" wrote in message
My ex-mother-in-law was once a garage sale freak. Addicted to garage

sales.

One day, she stopped at a garage where the door was open, and it was full

of
treasures. She was walking through it when the owner came out and asked
something like - what the f*** do you think you are doing?

Isn't this a garage sale?

No, now get the f*** out of here!

I think that is when she went for help. ;-)

Steve

Bob Engelhardt

Don Bruder wrote:
The mower you found was deliberately mangled, specifically to stop
dumpster divers from pulling it out and fixing whatever minor problem it
might have had. The logic is *SOMETHING* like "If they can pull it out
of the dumpster, why would they spend any money in here?", which, to be
honest, does make a certain amount of sense, ...

What also makes sense of mangling it is to prevent someone from pulling
it out and bringing it into the store for a refund! "Gee, I lost my
receipt for it."

A "Returns" clerk at HD once told me that they've caught people bringing
stuff from the store floor up to the Returns desk for a refund!
("Security!")

Bob
jim rozen

In article , Gerald Miller says...

You must live right across the street from me!

I suspect, that if she saw you mistreating an IC engine in this
manner, Ms. Mulligan would take corrective action in a timely manner!

Actually, the lawn is not getting cut at all right now.

Ms Mulligan twisted up her ankle pretty bad a couple of weeks
ago, so she's not doing much but sitting around with a 'ski
boot' thing on her foot. Which means I'm doing everything
around here - dishes, laundry, shopping, Dad's Taxi Service,
etc.

Seeing as *she* was the one who used to cut the lawn (well heck,
let's be fair, I GOT her the mower...) it seems to be going to
seed at this point. The clover out there does seem pretty nice
though.

Priorities, priorities. Rather than mow the lawn, my daughter
and I spend time both days this weekend with our new toys at
the rifle range. A good time was had by all.

Jim

please reply to:

Don Bruder

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:
The mower you found was deliberately mangled, specifically to stop
dumpster divers from pulling it out and fixing whatever minor problem it
might have had. The logic is *SOMETHING* like "If they can pull it out
of the dumpster, why would they spend any money in here?", which, to be
honest, does make a certain amount of sense, ...

What also makes sense of mangling it is to prevent someone from pulling
it out and bringing it into the store for a refund! "Gee, I lost my
receipt for it."

There's a reason behind "No refunds/exchanges without original receipt"
signs and policies. Yes, I know - the few spoil it for the many.

A "Returns" clerk at HD once told me that they've caught people bringing
stuff from the store floor up to the Returns desk for a refund!
("Security!")

Gotta give somebody like that credit for having solid brass balls strung
up there with stainless steel cables, if nothing else...

(Not that I support them doing so, but I think you understand my point)

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Gunner

On 11 Jul 2004 15:19:16 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

Priorities, priorities. Rather than mow the lawn, my daughter
and I spend time both days this weekend with our new toys at
the rifle range. A good time was had by all.

Jim

Which one did you like the best, and which one shot the best. The
lever gun or the bolt?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Gerald Miller

wrote:

Ms Mulligan twisted up her ankle pretty bad a couple of weeks
ago, so she's not doing much but sitting around with a 'ski
boot' thing on her foot. Which means I'm doing everything
around here - dishes, laundry, shopping, Dad's Taxi Service,
etc.

Just to illustrate how threads tend to migrate OT - around the end of
March I did a dive-and-roll from a half loaded trailer onto the
parking lot, resulting in a broken wrist. After being forced to visit
our family doctor, it was determined that, yes, there is damage, no,
you can't do anything other than treat it gently for a while and it
should be pretty much OK in three weeks, and if it still bothers you
too much in six weeks, the come back. After three weeks it was well
enough that I didn't need help at the beer store (Ontario, you know)
to carry out my 24 bottles of high test beer.
Anyhow, after six weeks, SWMBO tripped and broke her right arm right
at the shoulder (togetherness, you know). Over the last few weeks I
have developed all kinds of new talents, hooking bra's, pulling up
underpants, tying shoes, cutting food, etc. She graduated to doing her
own driving Thursday night, and guess who had to deal with a dead
battery Friday morning. All in all, things are going well, thankfully
surgery was not required, and the physiotherapist is well pleased with
her progress
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

wrote:

Priorities, priorities. Rather than mow the lawn, my daughter
and I spend time both days this weekend with our new toys at
the rifle range. A good time was had by all.

Jim

Which one did you like the best, and which one shot the best. The
lever gun or the bolt?

Damn it's a toss-up all things concerned. The marlin 880 was a
*lot* less expensive than the winchester 9422 - but it (the
marlin) has a really nice feel. The fiberglass stock seems
cheesy but makes the gun light and easy to shoot for a long
time without fatigue. The small magazines are easy to load
and so far the gun has not jammed once - this after probably
500 rounds have been put through it.

As far as accuracy goes, I have not had a chance to check it
much. I've left it to my daughter and the best I can say is
that today she had everything well inside the six inch black
circle at 25 yards - but I've not had a chance to check to
see what condition the sights are. I was told to "leave them
alone" so she may be compensating for them being a bit off.

The winchester's sights were quite off - it was shooting nice
tight groups at 25 yards, about six inches to the left, yesterday.
Last night I tweaked the sights a bit and today all my shots were
in the smaller third of the black at 25 yards, shooting standing.
That gun is very repeatable and also cycles reliably.
I can shoot faster with it than with the marlin (I *did*
get a chance to fire one magazine today) because I don't have
to reach over the top to work the bolt.

Next time I will go with a 50 yard target (those are the options
at this range, 25 or 50) and see how well they both do. There
were some plinking targets (steel plates on chains) that I was
hitting pretty reliably at 50 yards though. There was a guy there
with his GF, shooting a similar marlin 880 in .22 magnum, with
a scope. He was having trouble hitting them every time, I was
making them *dink* nearly each time with the winchester. I think
he was peeved.

I really cannot see how the winchester's sights were *so* far
off. And they had not been dinged by accident, the rear sight
(the adjustable one) was a tight, tight fit in the dovetail. So
tight that I had to switch to the 'bigger' hammer to tap them
over with a brass drift. I wonder what the former owner was
doing with the gun.

But it is nice, now when ms Mulligan gets back on her feet we can
all go shooting, and not have to take turns.

Good luck with finding 39 parts - I inspected one of those closely,
that ran a close second to the 9422. Nice gun.

Jim

please reply to:

Gerald Miller

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:09:43 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

A "Returns" clerk at HD once told me that they've caught people bringing
stuff from the store floor up to the Returns desk for a refund!
("Security!")

When Junior worked at a computer store, he endured a tirade from a
customer for close to an hour before he could point out that the cash
register tape clearly showed the name of the competition across the
street.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

jim rozen

In article , Don Bruder says...

A "Returns" clerk at HD once told me that they've caught people bringing
stuff from the store floor up to the Returns desk for a refund!
("Security!")

Gotta give somebody like that credit for having solid brass balls strung
up there with stainless steel cables, if nothing else...

Nah, the best cast iron balls story I heard was when the HD around
here opened up, somebody bought a generator and then returned it.
When the returned carton was eventually opened up, there were
cinder blocks inside. The perps were long gone by then.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

[...]

It's really really amazing how much folks do - you never really
'get it' until they *stop* doing what they do. I've actually
been treating myself with a more than excess of caution, if I
go out of commission then it's gonna be a stretch.

Well at least you can schedule your orthopedist vists at the same
time, economy of scale and all... Hope you all heal up real soon.

Jim

please reply to:

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:41:11 GMT, Gerald Miller
calmly ranted:

Anyhow, after six weeks, SWMBO tripped and broke her right arm right
at the shoulder (togetherness, you know). Over the last few weeks I
have developed all kinds of new talents, hooking bra's, pulling up
underpants, tying shoes,

Wow, everything was in -reverse- of the way you painstakingly
learned as a young teen, huh? Rugged! domg

cutting food, etc. She graduated to doing her
own driving Thursday night, and guess who had to deal with a dead
battery Friday morning. All in all, things are going well, thankfully
surgery was not required, and the physiotherapist is well pleased with
her progress.

That's always good news.

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what jim rozen
foisted 10 Jul 2004 07:36:12 -0700 on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:
In article , Gunner says...

If they dont, we pull their membership cards.

Wait-a-minute! I never *got* one of those....!

Jim, you were suppose to pick one up on your way to the store. (or was
it on the way home? I see if I can find the decoder ring and where I left
the handbook I picked up.)

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what "wallster"
foisted Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:06:00 -0400 on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

wayne, you're too much!! (that's meant as a COMPLIMENT!) dont you ever
stand there scratching your head going "damn it... i know i saw that damn
thing somewhere... but where?" i'm an ameteur "pile collector" compared to
you and i can never remember where the hell i put **** i need at the time!

I stand there scratching my head, saying "I know I saw one, now where
was I looking when I did?"

Anybody got any ideas for 12" x 12" blackboards?

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what "SteveB"
foisted Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:38:35 -0700 on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

Well, I went and snatched it, got it home, and one of the wheels needs
attention, and it needs a powerwashing. Kyle is 13 months now, and taking
his first steps, so he will be ready for it any time.

You bet I pick up stuff curbside. When you used to could take stuff to the
dump back in the fifties and sixties, we would sometimes come home with as
much stuff as we took.

Now that's "Recycling"!

I used to live a mile or two from the Lincoln township dump, In
Massachusetts. Rich neighborhood, kind which tossed out the charcoal grill
in the fall and bought new in the springs. Anyway, the stuff we brought
home on bicycles and red wagons. 150 feet of barb wire. Reel to Reel tape
(this was long before 8-track). Push mowers. And Jan scored The Deal. 2
(two) Edison Electric Company wet cell batteries, in their wooden boxes,
from back when Edison Electric signed the old man's signature on the caps.
Of course, there were the occasional injuries - I managed to step on
the same nail two days running, once per foot.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Jeff Wisnia

Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:

The mower you found was deliberately mangled, specifically to stop
dumpster divers from pulling it out and fixing whatever minor problem it
might have had. The logic is *SOMETHING* like "If they can pull it out
of the dumpster, why would they spend any money in here?", which, to be
honest, does make a certain amount of sense, ...

What also makes sense of mangling it is to prevent someone from pulling
it out and bringing it into the store for a refund! "Gee, I lost my
receipt for it."

There's a reason behind "No refunds/exchanges without original receipt"
signs and policies. Yes, I know - the few spoil it for the many.

Which explains this little game.....

The swine buys something he wants,and thus gets a receipt. He takes the
item home.

The next day he returns to the store, takes an identical item off the
shelf and slithers into the "return line" without being noticed.

You can figure out the remainder.

QED

(Anybody here willing to admit they ever slipped into a movie theater as
by walking slowly backwards through the crowd streaming out the doors
when a show was over?)

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what "Åmund Breivik"
foisted Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:08:55 +0200 on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

The ones with small lawns and expensive mowers call in every summer
complaining the mower won't start, and every time it turns out to be
something silly like forgetting to put fuel in the tank or opening the
stopcock.

The guy I had do the work on my motorcycle charged you five bucks if
you brought a bike in that "wouldn't start" and you'd forgotten to turn on
the gas. That was the first time. Second time, it was 10 buck. $20 bucks
for the third time. Said he never had yet charged anyone twenty bucks for
forgetting to open the petcock. Couple ten spots, but no twenties.

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what Gerald Miller
foisted Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:49:17 GMT on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

I once "repaired" a tape recorder by replacing.....no...sorry..
......._installing_ the batteries. Serious.

The backup power unit on this computer was repaired by pressing the
reset button.

LOL.

I was rebuilding the carb, sitting on at the table in the side yard.
Friend comes home, takes one look and gives me the "Wow, I'd never be able
to do that.." and I look at her and say "What? it's not complicated, I've
got the exploded drawing, the original assembly, and I put newspaper down
to keep track of the parts. Its a fine day and Jeff's got beer." Life is
good.

Now, try repairing a VW bus's engine in a carport in Egypt, that's a
hassle.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what "Lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com foisted Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:53:36 -0700
on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news
My place is in serious danger of breaking through the earth's crust and
sinking into the magma from the combined weight of all the stuff I
couldn't resist grabbing. G

LOL, I feel the same way. Like someone else already pointed out, once I
owned a lathe and a mill, every little scrap looks like stock inventory. I
have a hard time driving by the industrial section of my little town, 'cause
there is a metal shop there that throws away some good stuff that I've
dragged home. After a while, you just gotta say, enough!

I'm the same way with wood. Especially the expensive stuff which was
too small for work. Unfortunately, I haven't the room anymore, too much is
going in the fire pit.

Lane

--
pyotr filipivich.

Wayne Cook

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:06:00 -0400, "wallster"
wrote:

wayne, you're too much!! (that's meant as a COMPLIMENT!) dont you ever
stand there scratching your head going "damn it... i know i saw that damn
thing somewhere... but where?" i'm an ameteur "pile collector" compared to
you and i can never remember where the hell i put **** i need at the time!

Thanks. I do that at least half dozen times a day. :-)

The absolute worst is when I move something because it's in the way
and I think it's time to put it up proper. I can almost never find
those items. :-)

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Wayne Cook

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:27:01 -0400, "wallster"
wrote:

Wayne that's a great story. I copied it and pasted it to a word document
because my nephew is one lazy little *******. He needs to read a story like
yours and be shown that hard work and dedication to your beliefs pays off.
Your persistance speaks volumes about you,
nice job.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what "Jeff Sellers"
foisted Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:52:17 -0400 on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

Vent On

These A**holes that guard the garbage dumps should be run out of
town....along with the ones that come up with such STUPID legislation.
Hearing things like this makes me wonder what the f*** are they thinking ???
We need More garbage, or what...Useless Know Nothing *******s !!

Vent Off

Ahh, that feels better now, thanks....

We're not going to solve the solid waste landfill problem until we make
Dumpster Diving an Olympic Sport.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Wayne Cook

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:34:14 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
.. .
You definitely have to other things as well. Just fixing mowers

won't cut the mustard.

Yup! Just mowers will kill you quick, certainly around here! I did do pretty
much anything I could to make a buck! The winters here are hard on a small
shop with limited equipment. I would go from haveing two or three guys
working for me in the summer, to having zero work to do in the winter. I did
some welding and metal fabricating but it seemed that work also followed the
seasons.

After the first 2 or 3 years I rarely had any slack time. Of course
when I first started I was working at the local truck stop nights and
evenings.

[...]

That's one reason I really like living in a small town. I just can't
stand the political nonsense that goes on in a big city.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Jim Stewart

Old Nick wrote:

I have actually returned an item of electronic eqipt, and specifically
said that it was stuffed. Do NOT put it back on the shelf. I came back
1/2 hour later and there it was.....

I bought a harddrive at Fry's. It was sealed
up in a nice anti-static bag. I installed it
in my computer and it booted Windows...