CusMarsh

Default resource for tapping and die-ing

ok, i just read the threads on buying a tap and die set, and of course i'm
always looking for new toys to play with. what is a good resource to start
with that explains tap and dies and how to use them?

thanks in advance

cus
AZOTIC

ok, i just read the threads on buying a tap and die set, and of course i'm
always looking for new toys to play with. what is a good resource to start
with that explains tap and dies and how to use them?

thanks in advance

cus

Here is some technical info on taps :

http://www.newmantools.com/taps/taptech.htm

A nice begginers guide to taps and how they work.

Best Regards
Tom.
Robert Swinney

Cus sez: ok, i just read the threads on buying a tap and die set, and of
course i'm
always looking for new toys to play with. what is a good resource to

start
with that explains tap and dies and how to use them?

thanks in advance

Cus,

Your tacky offer of "thanks in advance" places a very low premium on any
information that may be forthcoming. Therefore, I decline to participate in
your troll-like ploy for attention. There is no doubt, however, there are
many others that will accede to your request. So, standby and prepare to be
innundated with information ... you pick that which may be reliable.

Bob Swinney

CusMarsh

Bob,
I've been watching this group for a while, and I tend to be polite, as part of
my upbringing. I post to other newsgroups infrequently, but usually with much
thought before I do. I am relatively new to metalworking, as my shop is set up
for woodworking, and time/space/money are a premium.

Most of the folks I see on here are honest, polite and helpful, and I can
properly filter most material.

That said, I don't appreciate being called a troll you Jackass.

Cus
Robert Swinney

Well, sorry "Cus". Your original post said you were looking for toys to
play with, or something to that effect. Something in the pharse, "thanks in
advance" indicates to me, anyway, that the poster doesn't place much value
on the information he is asking for, on this, or any other NG. At best, it
trivializes the intended responses, and at worst, it borders on rudeness.
It appears your punctuation skills are bit lacking as well. I didn't call
you a "troll you Jackass". The exact expression I used was "troll-like".

Bob (let us bray) Swinney

"CusMarsh" wrote in message
Bob,
I've been watching this group for a while, and I tend to be polite, as

part of
my upbringing. I post to other newsgroups infrequently, but usually with

much
thought before I do. I am relatively new to metalworking, as my shop is

set up
for woodworking, and time/space/money are a premium.

Most of the folks I see on here are honest, polite and helpful, and I can
properly filter most material.

That said, I don't appreciate being called a troll you Jackass.

Cus

Gunner

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 21:45:38 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Cus sez: ok, i just read the threads on buying a tap and die set, and of
course i'm
always looking for new toys to play with. what is a good resource to

start
with that explains tap and dies and how to use them?

thanks in advance

Cus,

Your tacky offer of "thanks in advance" places a very low premium on any
information that may be forthcoming. Therefore, I decline to participate in
your troll-like ploy for attention. There is no doubt, however, there are
many others that will accede to your request. So, standby and prepare to be
innundated with information ... you pick that which may be reliable.

Bob Swinney

Somebody **** in your cornflakes?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Robin S.

"Gunner" wrote in message

Your tacky offer of "thanks in advance" places a very low premium on any
information that may be forthcoming. Therefore, I decline to participate

in
your troll-like ploy for attention. There is no doubt, however, there

are
many others that will accede to your request. So, standby and prepare to

be
innundated with information ... you pick that which may be reliable.

Bob Swinney

Somebody **** in your cornflakes?

Yeah.. What the hang? I use "thanks in advance" merely as a courtesy. What's
the big deal?

Regards,

Robin

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Your tacky offer of "thanks in advance" ...

Somebody **** in your cornflakes?

Isn't somebody going to give this guy a reference to a book
like moltrecht, or maybe that MIT web site on machining?

Really one only needs to know a few things to use taps and
dies.

1) start out using the cheapest ones you can. Because
you break a bunch of them.

2) then carefully read the tap drill diameter tables in
the Starrett catalog, and realize that the tap drill
diameter is much bigger than the minor (root) diameter
of the thread. You can get away with 50 percent threads
if you are tapping nobendium or whatever.

Then go and buy the *best* possible taps and dies after
that, greenfield or sossner.

Really what he wants to know is more about thread cutting
and thread forms in general. I tend to glean most of that
information from older books found in yard sales or used
bookshops. Thread cutting and thread forms haven't changed
in ages. This really tends to be sort of technical
archeology and allows on to spend afternoons reading books
with photos in them of machinists wearing stripey aprons
and skimmers, running flat-belt driven machinery. But
you do learn the terminology which is half the issue,
like minor diameter, major diameter, tap drill size,
the various types of taps, etc.

At first I though 'god, everyone just *knows* how to use
a tap and die.' Then I thought back to my first time, when
I busted three taps off quite neatly in the same brass buss
bar in one of my first summer jobs. Then the boss patienty
took me aside and said, "here, you do it like this...."

The term "thanks in advance" is really a very common
business letter closing.

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney

Robin sez:

Yeah.. What the hang? I use "thanks in advance" merely as a courtesy.

What's
the big deal?

There's no "big deal", except that the curt, "thanks in advance" has a ring
of finality to it, IMO. Again, and IMO, it is less "put-offish" to use no
closing at all.

Bob (OAMO) Swinney

"Robin S." wrote in message

"Gunner" wrote in message

Your tacky offer of "thanks in advance" places a very low premium on

any
information that may be forthcoming. Therefore, I decline to

participate
in
your troll-like ploy for attention. There is no doubt, however, there

are
many others that will accede to your request. So, standby and prepare

be
innundated with information ... you pick that which may be reliable.

Bob Swinney

Somebody **** in your cornflakes?

Regards,

Robin

Ted Edwards

Robert Swinney wrote:

There's no "big deal", except that the curt, "thanks in advance" has a ring
of finality to it, IMO. Again, and IMO, it is less "put-offish" to use no
closing at all.

Sounds pretty anal to me. I'm sure with a bit of effort you can find
something to complain about in any message.

I use TIA when to indicate I'm really looking for an answer especially
when the question could possibly be interpreted as critical.

Ted

Sunworshiper

On 4 Jul 2004 07:57:46 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

[...]

The second to the last paragraph is what I was thinking and then I
first looked , and it turns bad. I had basically gave up on the simple
questions cause ya'll usually cover about everything. More than I know
and why bother when it will get over kill from people that do this
stuff all the time and can describe it very effectively.

Reminds me of that ahhh Tim W. thread about who has a good eye. And
this kid in my shop.

The kid wants to chase threads on his bike and I tried to help and he
said he knows what to do. He screwed up the bike. Had no idea about
TPI or anything , but thought plain determination would do.

Troll or plain asking , I don't know. Sometimes you just have to go
for it and get it perpendicular by hand. Which gets to Tim's thread.
There are a lot of people that can't handle a blasted picture on the
wall.

I don't have a lot of books or tools , but I've never seen in print
how to start them straight by hand. I just look back and forth at 90
degrees. And never crank on them , back off and clean off , and oil
kind of stuff.

Sure he didn't describe how in depth and I know it can get down right
technical , but ya'll missed the simple stuff.

Where does thanks in advance and afterwards fit in?
He maybe right , will the OP come back?