jtaylor

Default More drilling of motorcycle bits

I find I have #35 slow jets and need #40.

Are carburetor jets sized in a standard way?

These are kehein carbs.
Peter Snell

jtaylor wrote:

I find I have #35 slow jets and need #40.

Are carburetor jets sized in a standard way?

These are kehein carbs.

Keihin carb jet sizes are typically numbers that refelect the orifice
size in hundreths of mms. Therefore a #40 has an orfice size of 0.40mm.
--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

jim rozen

In article , jtaylor says...

I find I have #35 slow jets and need #40.

Are carburetor jets sized in a standard way?

These are kehein carbs.

Buy the jets. You will be unable to drill them
and get the correct flow characteristics of the
factory jets.

Jim

please reply to:

jtaylor

jim rozen wrote in message
In article , jtaylor says...

I find I have #35 slow jets and need #40.

Are carburetor jets sized in a standard way?

These are kehein carbs.

Buy the jets. You will be unable to drill them
and get the correct flow characteristics of the
factory jets.

Why is that?

Is it something other than a straight hole?

larry g

"jtaylor" wrote in message

jim rozen wrote in message
In article , jtaylor says...

I find I have #35 slow jets and need #40.

Are carburetor jets sized in a standard way?

These are kehein carbs.

Buy the jets. You will be unable to drill them
and get the correct flow characteristics of the
factory jets.

Why is that?

Is it something other than a straight hole?

In the case of Holley jets they are flow tested after mfg. and then sized.
The radius into the jet will affect the flow, as well as how round you drill
the hole, and the surface finish through the bore. In Holleys case you can
drill a 35 to a 40 but it may not flow the same as a factory 40. So theres
more to the game than just the size of the hole.
lg
no neat sig line

GMasterman

The ones that I've seen had the edges broken or champhered. Get the top edge
the slightest bit crooked and that screws up the flow pattern, just like a burr
on the muzzle of a rifle destroys accuracy by throwing the bullet off to one
side. Buy new to get it right
jtaylor

GMasterman wrote in message
The ones that I've seen had the edges broken or champhered. Get the top

edge
the slightest bit crooked and that screws up the flow pattern, just like a

burr
on the muzzle of a rifle destroys accuracy by throwing the bullet off to

one
side. Buy new to get it right

Ok, I'm convinced. Hope they are cheap...I might get unconvinced...

wallster

"jtaylor" wrote in message

GMasterman wrote in message
The ones that I've seen had the edges broken or champhered. Get the top

edge
the slightest bit crooked and that screws up the flow pattern, just like

burr
on the muzzle of a rifle destroys accuracy by throwing the bullet off to

one
side. Buy new to get it right

Ok, I'm convinced. Hope they are cheap...I might get unconvinced...

not sure what your riding, but assuming it's a harley evo, here's a link to
a site that carries jets.
http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetai...-976&cs=Harley
if not, it will give you an idea of cost.
good luck,
walt

jim rozen

In article , jtaylor says...

Ok, I'm convinced. Hope they are cheap...I might get unconvinced...

Go price them, you may be pleasantly suprised.
Compare that with the hassle of trying to rejet
reproducibly when the 'size' of the hole does not
reliabley relate to the flow.

Jim

please reply to:

nic

I realize that this is not the question that was initially
posed, but the comment may have some bearing on the subject.

Holley jet sizes are an indication of a relative size, not
necessarily a drill sizing system. Check them with a set of
pin gages and find that they are not the same diameter, so
are probably put on a flowbench of some type.
Maxxjet (for Holley carbs) are a little truer to having a
more consistent diameter for a stated jet size.

In article , jtaylor says...