Mike DeAngelis

Default Mill-Drill Stand

I am considering the purchase of a Rong Fu RF-45 mill drill and due to shop
space constraints I would like to make a stand for it that is on wheels. So,
I would like to know if anybody has made a movable stand for a mill drill
and if so could you share any details or ideas?
...Mike

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:42:34 GMT, "Mike DeAngelis"
wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a Rong Fu RF-45 mill drill and due to shop
space constraints I would like to make a stand for it that is on wheels. So,
I would like to know if anybody has made a movable stand for a mill drill
and if so could you share any details or ideas?
...Mike

I bought one with a stout base of steel tube. it works pretty well. I
can take pictures if you'd like.
Grant Erwin

If you can cut, fit and weld mild steel, a machine stand is easy. I like
to make the legs out of 2x2x¼" or 2x2½x¼" angle, and I like ½" plate steel
for the top. I like to cut/drill plates to match the caster plates, and
weld them on and paint (or get galvanized) the whole stand, then bolt on
the casters. If you like you can put drawers in. If you do put drawers in,
make them very sturdy, and make them deeper (top to bottom) than you'd
think. I made a lathe stand this exact way and it is very rigid and stout.
Plans are at http://www.tinyisland.com/images/stand.pdf in the dreaded PDF
format. I also made a surface plate stand which was similar, see the pic:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/splate2.jpg (this is my old shop).

It isn't completely trivial to fit everything so it's nice and square
after welding, but it is easy to build a very rigid and stout stand you
can feel real good about for as long as you own it.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Gunner

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:14:37 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

[...]

A good place for drawers btw...is the ball bearing roller glide
drawers from phone company service shells. One occasionally sees
these in junk yards etc. The drawers themselves are usually a very
heavy cyrolac or similar plastic and have internal deviders that are
easily moved around, and can be very deep and wide.. various sizes.
They are usually simply bolted into tubing/wire frames. They also work
very well under workbenches etc.

I drove surplus phone company service trucks for many years and when
they were scrapped out at the end of their life span, I saved the
drawers and bins. I gave most of them away or used them over the years
(damnit..before I got into machining) and folks made lots of rolling
carts etc stacked with thesed drawers.

Keep your eyes peeled when you go by a wrecking yard.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
JR North

See:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...retired_files/
See table.txt and the associated jpgs.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

--
Remove X to reply

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

AL

If you decide to buy the Rong Fu stand, you can easily add a mobile base.
Search for G7315 at www.grizzlyindustrial.com.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:15:13 -0700, JR North
calmly ranted:

See:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...retired_files/
See table.txt and the associated jpgs.

WELL done, JR, both in planning and execution.

* Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
* laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
* shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com

Stuart Pearson

news
wrote:

[...]

The rails used to mount servers can normally be puchased / begged from
companies upgrading there servers. I have sold them on ebay in the past and
normally get about $5 - $10 a pair. They are normally rated to about 100lb
but you do sometimes get 200lb ones. They have a nice action and are of the
highest quality I have found.

Stuart Pearson

Mike DeAngelis

Thanks for all the tips and pointers for the stand. I had already looked in
the dropbox, but I had been looking for something with mill in the
description so I missed the table. Thanks again.
...Mike
. ..