John Albers

Default What kind of Grease should I use ???

I am thinking about building a small portable home shop power hacksaw.
I found a little raskel type scooter that was thrown in a dumpster. I
want to use one of the wheel gear drives for the power hacksaw. The
motor is 12-24v and the gear drive has a reduction of 16. This should
put me roughly in range of about 60 strokes per minute.

The following are pictures of the gear drive unit. Notice the 6"
scale in the picture for reference.

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/GearBox/1.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/GearBox/2.jpg

I am looking for opinions on what type of grease that I should use to
repack the housing with for this appliction. I removed the old grease
because some water and dirt got into the housing. Looking at the
McMasterCarr website (mcmastercarr.com page 1986), there is quite a
selection of different greases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Wild Bill

That's a neat looking gear train.. looks like those would be handy for quite
a few uses.
A good cheap, commonly available grease would be Moly EP available in almost
any retail auto parts store for general chassis lubrication (wheel bearings,
ball joints, tie rod ends etc).
If you think that would be too thick, you could add a squirt of SAE 80 or
90W gear lube, which is a general purpose manual transmission and
differential lube.
If there are good seals in place, and you're going to mount it with the
cover on the top side, just the 80 gear lube would probably be fine by
itself.

WB

m...