John Albers

Default What kind of Grease should I use ???

I am thinking about building a small portable home shop power hacksaw.
I found a little raskel type scooter that was thrown in a dumpster. I
want to use one of the wheel gear drives for the power hacksaw. The
motor is 12-24v and the gear drive has a reduction of 16. This should
put me roughly in range of about 60 strokes per minute.

The following are pictures of the gear drive unit. Notice the 6"
scale in the picture for reference.

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/GearBox/1.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/GearBox/2.jpg

I am looking for opinions on what type of grease that I should use to
repack the housing with for this appliction. I removed the old grease
because some water and dirt got into the housing. Looking at the
McMasterCarr website (mcmastercarr.com page 1986), there is quite a
selection of different greases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you