WJ

Default Bead blaster cabinet...

Has anyone ever made one? They look pretty simple: Enclosed cab with
sloped floor, grate for the parts to be cleaned, siphon tube and air inlet
for the gun, Plexiglas window, glove holes and some kind of protected light.
Oh yeah, and an outlet for a dust vacuum.

Am I missing anything?

Walt

Wooding

"WJ" wrote in message
Has anyone ever made one? They look pretty simple: Enclosed cab with
sloped floor, grate for the parts to be cleaned, siphon tube and air inlet
for the gun, Plexiglas window, glove holes and some kind of protected

light.
Oh yeah, and an outlet for a dust vacuum.

Am I missing anything?

Walt

I don't think so... I made one to those basic specs a few years ago and it

works fine.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(Change feet to foot to reply)

Randal O'Brian

That's all mine has. I used a standard single tube fluorescent fixture
(like an undercabinet light) inside mine and it has worked perfectly for
years even though it is exposed to the bead cloud.
However, mine is in an air conditioned shop, I use only glass beads and
don't do any heavy rust blasting which keeps the contents pretty clean and
dry. I didn't use a vacuum for a long time and never had a problem with
dust. I found a cheap used, vac. and put it in, but have seen no real
difference. If you don't use a vac. you still need a vent hole with a
filter to keep the beads in. 1/8" hardware cloth stretched over a frame
makes a good grate if your parts don't weigh over 10 or 12 lbs.

Randy

"WJ" wrote in message
Has anyone ever made one? They look pretty simple: Enclosed cab with
sloped floor, grate for the parts to be cleaned, siphon tube and air inlet
for the gun, Plexiglas window, glove holes and some kind of protected

light.
Oh yeah, and an outlet for a dust vacuum.

Am I missing anything?

Walt

Gary Brady

Am I missing anything?

Not much. I just threw a blast cabinet together from scraps laying around and
here's how it turned out:

http://cedarvalleyworkshop.4t.com/Blast%20cabinet.html

Most notably missing is the sloped bottom (which you definitely need). This
one is kind of a dry run for a better model which will probably be my next
project. It works remarkably well considering almost no money spent. Two
suggestions that come from building this one:

Make the arm holes big enough-about 7" in diameter.

Make the arm holes the right height from the floor to fit YOU. Otherwise,
you'll end up stooping and that's a pain in the back.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
David Billington

I made one that was 8 ft long, 4 ft high and 3 ft deep. It used a 2" x
2" x 16swg base frame with 1" x 1" x 16swg slats about every 12", the
legs folded underneath and the catch area was in rubber sheet. The upper
assembly dismantled for storage and the front panel had 4 hand holes
with elasticated entries to seal to the elbow length rubber gauntlets
worn. The window was just pallet film held on with magnetic stip. The
film was changed periodically. The main issue with the film was dust
sticking to it due to static, used to get some nice 0.25" or more
discharges occasionally. Due to limited space the whole thing could be
dismantled and stored as 8ft long x 4 ft high x 6" deep, easy stowage
against a wall.

WJ wrote:

Has anyone ever made one? They look pretty simple: Enclosed cab with
sloped floor, grate for the parts to be cleaned, siphon tube and air inlet
for the gun, Plexiglas window, glove holes and some kind of protected light.
Oh yeah, and an outlet for a dust vacuum.

Am I missing anything?

Walt

WJ

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm starting to build mine out of a 55 gallon
drum cut in half so it clamshells. If it turns out worth sharing I'll link
some pics when it's done.

Walt

Chris L

I had built a few over the years, but they always got away on me thru
various moves from here to there.

One thing is it helps if they are metal. Plastic and Wood fails to
carry away any static built up from the grit going thru the nozzle.

Guess who gets to be the best potential for static disipation? Ouch,
Ouch, OUCH !

I was going to build another one, but caved in to an Imported one:

While I avoid most stuff I see in that place, this thing had a decent
Door, Nice big Arm Holes and Real Glass.

I did some mods so I could run a gravity feed - "dry Sump" for quick
grit changes, added a pair of those little halogen lamps up top, Put a
Small variable speed Squirrel Cage over the Vacuum Opening, (Blower
dumps into a long bag made out of cloth), and put some really flexible
hoses inside to the Nozzle. Next I want to locate a foot "Air
Control", and do a little modification to the existing nozzle to make
it smaller. (hack,Cut,Hack,Cut)

I Don't know about your feelings, but the Harbor Freight one for $119
(They've been on sale for $99).... Well, how much can you build for
that IF the size is big enough for what you need ....

Chris L

Rex B

On 22 Apr 2004 20:05:09 -0700, (Chris L) wrote:

||I had built a few over the years, but they always got away on me thru
||various moves from here to there.
||One thing is it helps if they are metal. Plastic and Wood fails to
||carry away any static built up from the grit going thru the nozzle.
|| Guess who gets to be the best potential for static disipation? Ouch,
||Ouch, OUCH !
||I was going to build another one, but caved in to an Imported one:
||While I avoid most stuff I see in that place, this thing had a decent
||Door, Nice big Arm Holes and Real Glass.
||I did some mods so I could run a gravity feed - "dry Sump" for quick
||grit changes, added a pair of those little halogen lamps up top, Put a
||Small variable speed Squirrel Cage over the Vacuum Opening, (Blower
||dumps into a long bag made out of cloth), and put some really flexible
||hoses inside to the Nozzle. Next I want to locate a foot "Air
||Control", and do a little modification to the existing nozzle to make
||it smaller. (hack,Cut,Hack,Cut)
||I Don't know about your feelings, but the Harbor Freight one for $119
||(They've been on sale for $99).... Well, how much can you build for
||that IF the size is big enough for what you need ....

I have to agree. I went to a lcoal Homier sale recently. They had a
floor-standing blast cabinet for $99. Next time they come around I'd have to
buy that. I don't think I could get the materials for that kind of money.
Rex in Fort Worth
Joel. Corwith

"WJ" wrote in message
Has anyone ever made one? They look pretty simple: Enclosed cab with
sloped floor, grate for the parts to be cleaned, siphon tube and air inlet
for the gun, Plexiglas window, glove holes and some kind of protected

light.
Oh yeah, and an outlet for a dust vacuum.

Am I missing anything?

First time I needed one I took a monitor box and storm window and cut some
holes in the side of the box. Anything on top of that is gravy!

Joel. phx

Walt