Dar Shelton

Default Cutting Aluminum With Chop Saw (?)

Past : I used to go to a place and use their chop saw for slicing off small pieces of Al and brass bar stock. I never
remembered (and don't now) having trouble with aluminum, and the parts from way back then appear to have cut
as well as the brass ones from the same batches.

Present: I just got my own chop saw, and read that it's not meant for aluminum (but is meant for 'iron metal' g).
I tried to slice a small piece off of a small diameter bar stock and the cut was really sloppy and it seemed to have gotten
so hot that the Al got .... well, slushy. Maybe the loading of the blade (a Norton metal-cutting blade) left a messy kerf
(right word?) , maybe the spanking-new blade needs to wear in a little (?) . It worked fine on a similar brass piece.

Future (?)
I'll try water cooling the cut next time. I'm assuming it will be ok to spray water onto the cut in progress (?).
Am I correct it thinking that the warned-of danger in cutting aluminum has something to do with the blade
periodically throwing off accumulated Al ?. A couple of brass cuts took off the buildup .
Since the saw itself , and not the blade, came with the warning about Al, I'm also assuming that
there aren't blades that are actually recommended for Al ?.

Thanks,
Dar

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Dar Shelton
wrote:

[...]

There are abrasive saw blades made to cut non-ferrous metals.
They wear away faster than steel blades, but do not load up with
aluminum blobs.
Dar Shelton

Default Cutting Aluminum With Chop Saw (?) Blades/Wheels??

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in message ...
In article , Dar Shelton
wrote:

Future (?)
I'll try water cooling the cut next time. I'm assuming it will be ok to spray
water onto the cut in progress (?).
Am I correct it thinking that the warned-of danger in cutting aluminum has
something to do with the blade
periodically throwing off accumulated Al ?. A couple of brass cuts took off
the buildup .
Since the saw itself , and not the blade, came with the warning about Al, I'm
also assuming that
there aren't blades that are actually recommended for Al ?.

Thanks,
Dar

There are abrasive saw blades made to cut non-ferrous metals.
They wear away faster than steel blades, but do not load up with
aluminum blobs.

I said ' blades' but I did mean the abrasive wheels normally used on chop saws (as far as I know).
So when John Farr, and you, say 'blades' , you mean the same thing, or variations thereof, as opposed to
a solid metal blade like in a radial arm saw, or a cold metal saw?.

Dar

John Hofstad-Parkhill

He definately means blade, with teeth.

I regularly use a Freud carbide tipped 12" miter saw blade to sever AL. I
also use a cheap B&D carbide tipped blade to cut down AL plate on my table
saw.

wrote:

[...]

turnitdown

For cutting aluminum sheets I use a regular worm drive saw with the blade
reversed and WD 40 to lube the blade- cuts just like wood- you need someone
to continuously spray the WD 40 and its a bit messy, but results are great.
[...]

Dar Shelton

Default Aluminum With Chop Saw (?) Carbide Blades ?

Ok, so is it alright to just put any old carbide-tipped , solid metal blade
into my chop saw, as long as the arbor fits ?. Not that I'm exactly rarin' to go
that route ......

DS

turnitdown wrote in message nk.net...
[...]

Harold & Susan Vordos

[...]

Instead of water, use a little kerosene on the cut. It does wonders for
machining aluminum, and won't rust anything , unlike water.

The problem may be the carbide grade. Non ferrous is better machined with
a C2 grade, something like 883 Carboloy. Hard to say what grade the saw
blade would have. Excessive tip welding could prove a serious matter, so
I'm sure that's one of the reasons they suggest you not cut aluminum.
Keeps them out of court.

Harold

Lewis Hartswick

Dar Shelton wrote:
Ok, so is it alright to just put any old carbide-tipped , solid metal blade
into my chop saw, as long as the arbor fits ?. Not that I'm exactly rarin' to go
that route ......

DS

Be sure to use a negative rake tooth blade and if possible a tripple
chip grind.
...lew...