Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dar Shelton

Default Cutting Aluminum With Chop Saw (?)

Past : I used to go to a place and use their chop saw for slicing off small pieces of Al and brass bar stock. I never
remembered (and don't now) having trouble with aluminum, and the parts from way back then appear to have cut
as well as the brass ones from the same batches.

Present: I just got my own chop saw, and read that it's not meant for aluminum (but is meant for 'iron metal' g).
I tried to slice a small piece off of a small diameter bar stock and the cut was really sloppy and it seemed to have gotten
so hot that the Al got .... well, slushy. Maybe the loading of the blade (a Norton metal-cutting blade) left a messy kerf
(right word?) , maybe the spanking-new blade needs to wear in a little (?) . It worked fine on a similar brass piece.

Future (?)
I'll try water cooling the cut next time. I'm assuming it will be ok to spray water onto the cut in progress (?).
Am I correct it thinking that the warned-of danger in cutting aluminum has something to do with the blade
periodically throwing off accumulated Al ?. A couple of brass cuts took off the buildup .
Since the saw itself , and not the blade, came with the warning about Al, I'm also assuming that
there aren't blades that are actually recommended for Al ?.

Thanks,
Dar