Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

Default American Air Industrial Compressor pedigree?

Howdy,

Anybody hear of an "American Air" Industrial Compressor? I have an
opportunity to get "5HP" 220V 60 gallon, twin cylinder unit for next to
nothing and I'm wondering about its pedigree. Anybody know?

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32746

On Sat, 27 May 2006 03:18:13 GMT, Peter Grey wrote:
Howdy,

Anybody hear of an "American Air" Industrial Compressor? I have an
opportunity to get "5HP" 220V 60 gallon, twin cylinder unit for next to
nothing and I'm wondering about its pedigree. Anybody know?

Is that single phase or 3 phase?

Does it work? For next to nothing, I would take it, especially for
hobby use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

"Ignoramus32746" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 May 2006 03:18:13 GMT, Peter Grey wrote:
Howdy,

Anybody hear of an "American Air" Industrial Compressor? I have an
opportunity to get "5HP" 220V 60 gallon, twin cylinder unit for next to
nothing and I'm wondering about its pedigree. Anybody know?

Is that single phase or 3 phase?

Single phase.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

"Ignoramus32746" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 May 2006 03:18:13 GMT, Peter Grey wrote:

Does it work? For next to nothing, I would take it, especially for
hobby use.

I really don't want to waste my time installing the damn thing if it's going
to crap out on me... Hence my query.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spamno

. net...

wrote:

Does it work? For next to nothing, I would take it, especially for
hobby use.

I really don't want to waste my time installing the damn thing if it's

going
to crap out on me... Hence my query.

If it was that cheap and those were my concerns I'd;
1) Change the oil (see how much metal is in the old oil)
2) Inspect it fully- has it had a 'hard life' or does it show little wear?

If it's been taken care of it should last quite a while.

My 2¢

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32746

On Sat, 27 May 2006 04:19:19 GMT, Peter Grey wrote:

"Ignoramus32746" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 May 2006 03:18:13 GMT, Peter Grey wrote:

Does it work? For next to nothing, I would take it, especially for
hobby use.

I really don't want to waste my time installing the damn thing if it's going
to crap out on me... Hence my query.

If it craps out on you, you can then buy a drop in replacement into
existing installation. Or replace what failed (ie pump).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

The name "American Air" does not seem to be trademarked, there are a lot
of various units out there using the same and similar names.

If the unit has a cast iron compressor, runs when you pick it up, goes
up to pressure and holds there, and doesn't show signs of high useage
(lots of oil leakage, belt fragments, sun faded paint, etc), go for it.
You probably will not be able to get parts like reed valves but the
tank, regulator, belt, cutoff switch, motor, and compressor are eaisily
available.

As for "installing" it, that is pretty much the same for any compressor.
You will want a 220 outlet as well as a flex hose running to your fixed
piping. Install it so it can be swapped out in 15 minutes.

Peter Grey wrote:
"Ignoramus32746" wrote in message
.. .

On Sat, 27 May 2006 03:18:13 GMT, Peter Grey wrote:

Does it work? For next to nothing, I would take it, especially for
hobby use.

I really don't want to waste my time installing the damn thing if it's going
to crap out on me... Hence my query.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...

As for "installing" it, that is pretty much the same for any compressor.
You will want a 220 outlet as well as a flex hose running to your fixed
piping. Install it so it can be swapped out in 15 minutes.

Installing it in my tiny shop is more involved than that. It'll involve
separating the tank from the rest of the unit and putting them in different
parts of the shop...

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 May 2006 16:03:43 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

"RoyJ" wrote in message
ink.net...

As for "installing" it, that is pretty much the same for any compressor.
You will want a 220 outlet as well as a flex hose running to your fixed
piping. Install it so it can be swapped out in 15 minutes.

Installing it in my tiny shop is more involved than that. It'll involve
separating the tank from the rest of the unit and putting them in different
parts of the shop...

Would it be possible to install it outside of your shop and just plumb
it in? That's where mine's going. Not for lack of room, I just don't
want to listen to it.

Snarl