Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

Default Followup: Guthrie Swap/Tailgate meet

Great day at the Ironworks. Just a bit on the warm side. Quite a few folks
showed up with lots of stuff. An old Harrison project lathe (11x24 gap bed)
for $400. An Atlas horizontal mill for $100 (missing a few parts). I
bought a 5hp shopbuilt abrasive cutoff saw for $150 (heavy duty rocker
type), an interesting 3" 3 jaw for $20, a new Chinese set of 5C's for $35,
a pair of rollers and mounts for a 6" belt sander (edge type) for $40, a
little drill press, perfect for a tapper, $10, about 120 new Woodruff
cutters, $80, a mister for $10 and a box of stainless screws and nuts
(various sizes in boxes) $10. Sold my late model Atlas 6x18 for $450 (nice
and tooled). A bunch of various carbide inserts were going for $.50 each.
Carbide ballend mills (and other shapes) were $4 each. Ran across someone
with a powered 40 ton hydraulic press for $400 at home, got some friends
that need that. Lots of gauges, calipers, taps, end mills and other tooling
galore. Quite a bit of smithy tooling, even one small aluminum pot.
They were pouring metal in one shop area while the smithy was ringing
iron in another. Amazing how many BIG, OLD MACHINES David has rounded up in
the machine area. Some real monsters. That floor is going nowhere.....
well, it might sink a bit, I guess. I noticed they've been working on the
old cupula. One Model T flatbed was setting in the aisle, a restoration
project, while another fellow drove his 1920 to the meet.
All in all, a great day. I don't know why they harassed me about my hat
so much. It sure kept the sun off. Oh well. Now we have to wait till next
year. Maybe you can make it next time.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore