Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default Anyone save and sell their used junk inserts? (nm)

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....but I am entitled to "MY" opinion..
Carol Gulley, Mt. Juliet, TN. aka Koi Lo the queen of ponds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

I shipped off 80 pounds last week - I was quoted $7.15/lb! About half
was new inserts that I'd never use, mostly very large negative rake
inserts, 3 or 4 of which made up a pound. Three years ago the price was
$2/lb.

Mind if I ask who you sold to? I have maybe 10-15 lbs I'd like to get rid
of.

Now I need to find a place to sell about 20# of tungsten metal.

I was at an auction recently where brick-sized blocks were bringing about
$500 each. I overheard a guy asking the buyer why it was bringing so much
and he said that block was about $1200 worth! It was a racer's auction.
They apparently use them as weights.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

I shipped off 80 pounds last week - I was quoted $7.15/lb! About half
was new inserts that I'd never use, mostly very large negative rake
inserts, 3 or 4 of which made up a pound. Three years ago the price was
$2/lb. Now I need to find a place to sell about 20# of tungsten metal.

Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 19 May 2006 00:35:36 GMT, Keith Marshall wrote:

Mind if I ask who you sold to? I have maybe 10-15 lbs I'd like to get rid
of.

How "junky" are we talking here? Would they be good enough for someone
like me that doesn't need pristine and is learning how to sharpen
tooling?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
I shipped off 80 pounds last week - I was quoted $7.15/lb! About half
was new inserts that I'd never use, mostly very large negative rake
inserts, 3 or 4 of which made up a pound. Three years ago the price was
$2/lb.

Mind if I ask who you sold to? I have maybe 10-15 lbs I'd like to get rid
of.

http://www.carbiderecycling.com/

I haven't been paid yet, so can't give an endorsement. I should know
better in about 3 weeks. Remind me then if you want a report.

They did say I'd be better off selling the tungsten metal locally, since
it'd require an assay. If they didn't intend to pay they would
presumably would have said, "Sure send it along!"

Now I need to find a place to sell about 20# of tungsten metal.

I was at an auction recently where brick-sized blocks were bringing about
$500 each. I overheard a guy asking the buyer why it was bringing so much
and he said that block was about $1200 worth! It was a racer's auction.
They apparently use them as weights.

That'd be about 40#/ea for an approx 2x4x8 brick. I'm guessing that
scrap value is $15-$20/lb now, so $500 at auction doesn't sound out of
line.

Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
How "junky" are we talking here? Would they be good enough for someone
like me that doesn't need pristine and is learning how to sharpen
tooling?

I'll have to take another look and get back to you. I bought an old wooden
drawer unit at an auction awhile back. One of the drawers had a few new
inserts of a type I needed and unit was cheap.

Some of the other drawers have quite a few used inserts, mostly TiN coated.
There are different types including a few round ones IIRC. Does that sound
like something you'd be interested in? I wouldn't think there would be much
point in sharpening inserts because they're usually designed to be supported
near the edge by the holder and once they're worn very much they wouldn't
clear that edge any more.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 19 May 2006 04:41:39 GMT, Keith Marshall wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
How "junky" are we talking here? Would they be good enough for someone
like me that doesn't need pristine and is learning how to sharpen
tooling?

Some of the other drawers have quite a few used inserts, mostly TiN coated.
There are different types including a few round ones IIRC. Does that sound
like something you'd be interested in?

Hm. Maybe I'm better off just working with what I have instead of
inheriting another project. Thanks for the voice of reason, Keith.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carbide Recycling is a good outfit.