Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default "Soldering and Brazing" by Tubal Cain

I just got and read "Soldering and Brazing" by Tubal Cain, which had
been recommended on RCM. It was very useful, and well worth the $13.00
(including shipping by Royal mail) it cost me.

Buying it took two tries. The first attempt, directly from Amazon.com,
petered out. What worked and worked well was to go through Amazon's
"new and used " (Amazon Marketplace) button, and select a British
bookseller who ships to the US. I used "The Book Depository Ltd.".

Soldering and Brazing is #9 is a whole series of 33 practical books.
Wonder if they are all that good.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:43:53 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I just got and read "Soldering and Brazing" by Tubal Cain, which had
been recommended on RCM. It was very useful, and well worth the $13.00
(including shipping by Royal mail) it cost me.

Buying it took two tries. The first attempt, directly from Amazon.com,
petered out. What worked and worked well was to go through Amazon's
"new and used " (Amazon Marketplace) button, and select a British
bookseller who ships to the US. I used "The Book Depository Ltd.".

Soldering and Brazing is #9 is a whole series of 33 practical books.
Wonder if they are all that good.

Joe Gwinn

====================
I don't have the entire set but the ones I do have are good.
Especially the one on gear cutting and milling on the lathe.

If you are in the US try Powells
http://www.powells.com/

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

I have 1 through 12, 19, 25 and 29. #1 was published in 1984 and #33 in
2000. All very informative but the first 10 have more useful basic
information than the rest.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I just got and read "Soldering and Brazing" by Tubal Cain, which had
been recommended on RCM. It was very useful, and well worth the $13.00
(including shipping by Royal mail) it cost me.

Buying it took two tries. The first attempt, directly from Amazon.com,
petered out. What worked and worked well was to go through Amazon's
"new and used " (Amazon Marketplace) button, and select a British
bookseller who ships to the US. I used "The Book Depository Ltd.".

Soldering and Brazing is #9 is a whole series of 33 practical books.
Wonder if they are all that good.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe,
I have most of the collection from years ago. When they republish these
they redo the covers and sometimes change the title slightly fooling
you into buying a "new" book.
I have a few dupes as a result.
They are very informative and I have built some of the shop tools and
lathe accesories.
Wise Owl in Calif. sells them too.
RichD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

RichD wrote:

Wise Owl in Calif. sells them too.

I just sent my first order to Wise Owl today. I won't say what book I
ordered until I have it in hand, though, because I wouldn't want to
jinx the sale.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Didn't T-Nut call himself Tubal Cain initially? Same guy? I know that
Tubal Cain is a secret Freemason name having to do with metalworking, so
there may be several who have used that handle, but who knows? I do miss
T-Nut.

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I just got and read "Soldering and Brazing" by Tubal Cain, which had
been recommended on RCM. It was very useful, and well worth the $13.00
(including shipping by Royal mail) it cost me.

Buying it took two tries. The first attempt, directly from Amazon.com,
petered out. What worked and worked well was to go through Amazon's
"new and used " (Amazon Marketplace) button, and select a British
bookseller who ships to the US. I used "The Book Depository Ltd.".

Soldering and Brazing is #9 is a whole series of 33 practical books.
Wonder if they are all that good.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:32:20 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

Didn't T-Nut call himself Tubal Cain initially? Same guy? I know that
Tubal Cain is a secret Freemason name having to do with metalworking, so
there may be several who have used that handle, but who knows? I do miss
T-Nut.

Tubal Cain was the late Tom Walshaw.
a damn good model engineer.

Simple model steam engines was written by tubal cain as well it is a
lovely little book.

btw in the book series that started this thread off, the book on
casting by B.Terry Aspin must be one of the classics.
absolutely priceless piece of work.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Dunno for sure, but overleaf from the title page of "The Model Engineer's
Handbook" is: "The right of Tubal Cain to be identified as the Author of
this work has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs
and Patents Rights Act of 1988." There is no mention of a pseudonym.

Bob Swinney

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby

Robert Swinney wrote:
Dunno for sure, but overleaf from the title page of "The Model Engineer's
Handbook" is: "The right of Tubal Cain to be identified as the Author of
this work has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs
and Patents Rights Act of 1988." There is no mention of a pseudonym.

"Bob Chilcoat" ... wrote ...
Didn't T-Nut call himself Tubal Cain initially? Same guy? I know that
Tubal Cain is a secret Freemason name having to do with metalworking, so
there may be several who have used that handle, but who knows? I do miss
T-Nut.

Presumably Freemasonry picked the name up from the original, i.e.
Genesis 4:22: "Zillah bore Tubal-cain; he was the forger of all
instruments of bronze and iron." http://bible.cc/genesis/4-22.htm
also translates part of that as "the father of every maker of cutting
instruments of brass and iron" and "an instructer of every artificer
in brass and iron".
-jiw

"Joseph Gwinn" ... wrote ...
I just got and read "Soldering and Brazing" by Tubal Cain, which had
been recommended on RCM. It was very useful, and well worth the $13.00
(including shipping by Royal mail) it cost me.

Soldering and Brazing is #9 is a whole series of 33 practical books.
Wonder if they are all that good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

AIR, Teenut did refer to himself as "Tubal Cain" on rcm originally and there
may have been one or two folks back then that took offense to him using that
name.

Mike

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Henry :
AIR, Teenut did refer to himself as "Tubal Cain" on rcm originally and there
may have been one or two folks back then that took offense to him using that
name.

That was true -- so he graciously picked a new nom-de-keyboard.

He had originally considered using that name to be an homage to
the original.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 16 May 2006 13:31:34 -0600, James Waldby
wrote:

Presumably Freemasonry picked the name up from the original, i.e.
Genesis 4:22: "Zillah bore Tubal-cain; he was the forger of all
instruments of bronze and iron." http://bible.cc/genesis/4-22.htm
also translates part of that as "the father of every maker of cutting
instruments of brass and iron" and "an instructer of every artificer
in brass and iron".
-jiw

Tubal Cain may or may not have been a freemason, there is no published
evidence either way that I know of. The quote from genesis that you
have in the paragraph above *is* the line of text that saw Tom Walshaw
adopt Tubal Cain as his pseudonym.
He wrote about the matter in Model Engineer a little before his death
Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

It may be good but hardly priceless. They're cheap on Ebay!