Robert Swinney

Default Harbor Freight Welding Rig

Harbor Freight is advertising a "gasless" flux wire welder. It looks to be
a wire welder with no gas required - Migless, Tigless ??. What are they
advertising here?
Bob Swinney

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Robert Swinney
wrote:

Harbor Freight is advertising a "gasless" flux wire welder. It looks to be
a wire welder with no gas required - Migless, Tigless ??. What are they
advertising here?
Bob Swinney

A simple MIG power supply with no gas solenoid.
For running Flux-core wire.

Similar to Lincoln's Weldpak welders.

Flux-core wire is like a stick electrode turned inside out.
It is a tubular wire filled with flux.
They work OK for simple stuff.
Don't expect pretty welds, and they are a bit hot for sheet metal.
Robert Swinney

Thanks Ernie - I'll probably stick to OA silver brazing.

Bob Swinney
"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
In article , Robert Swinney
wrote:

Harbor Freight is advertising a "gasless" flux wire welder. It looks

to be
a wire welder with no gas required - Migless, Tigless ??. What are they
advertising here?
Bob Swinney

A simple MIG power supply with no gas solenoid.
For running Flux-core wire.

Similar to Lincoln's Weldpak welders.

Flux-core wire is like a stick electrode turned inside out.
It is a tubular wire filled with flux.
They work OK for simple stuff.
Don't expect pretty welds, and they are a bit hot for sheet metal.

Daniel A. Mitchell

As others have already pointed out, it's a flux core, not a 'jacket' on
the wire. Either way, it's the same principal as a stick welder.

Dan Mitchell
==========

Robert Swinney wrote:

Harbor Freight is advertising a "gasless" flux wire welder. It looks to be
a wire welder with no gas required - Migless, Tigless ??. What are they
advertising here?
Bob Swinney

Rex B

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:20:18 -0800, "Robert Swinney" wrote:

||Harbor Freight is advertising a "gasless" flux wire welder. It looks to be
||a wire welder with no gas required - Migless, Tigless ??. What are they
||advertising here?
||Bob Swinney

It's just a Mig without the gas, uses flux-core wire.
The low-end mig welders sell that way, with optional gas regulator available.
I've bought two this way, and always got the gas setup immediately.
Make sure the HF welder is upgradable to use argon
Rex in Fort Worth
JR North

Geezus Bob, Those have been around for years.
Not for serious work; light gauge only, with very low duty
cycle. I have found mine to work exceptionally well for
welding cracked cast iron manifolds. The big deal with them
is the wire feed rate and stability. If the feeder is
crappy, have fun doing a good bead. They're ok, within their
limits.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

--
Remove X to reply

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Leo Lichtman

Most of these comments have a sort of negative tone, so I will offer a
couple of positives. 1.) A small flux-core welder is very portable, since
you don't need a tank of gas. 2.) Gas shielding does not work well if
there is a breeze. Flux-core works anywhere.

I have a Lincoln 135--I can't comment on the quality of the HF unit, but I
would be leery.

Roy J

I have a little off brand 120 volt flux core. I hate using the
little bugger but it is the one that goes in the trailer for last
minute repair work or the race car. Running off a 4kw cheapie gen
set I might add!

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Most of these comments have a sort of negative tone, so I will offer a
couple of positives. 1.) A small flux-core welder is very portable, since
you don't need a tank of gas. 2.) Gas shielding does not work well if
there is a breeze. Flux-core works anywhere.

I have a Lincoln 135--I can't comment on the quality of the HF unit, but I
would be leery.

Gunner

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:54:33 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Most of these comments have a sort of negative tone, so I will offer a
couple of positives. 1.) A small flux-core welder is very portable, since
you don't need a tank of gas. 2.) Gas shielding does not work well if
there is a breeze. Flux-core works anywhere.

I have a Lincoln 135--I can't comment on the quality of the HF unit, but I
would be leery.

I have one of the little HF rigs. I cant complain much. Im on my 4th
spool of wire, and it still works fine for its intended purpose, short
welds on moderately thin stock like thin wall tubing. The amperage is
High/Low and it would be nice to have a reostat for finer
adjustments..but I just weld faster or slower.

And it was easy to learn to use right out of the box. Im more of a
dauber than a welder, though have used most types at one time or
another, stick, heliarc, mig with a good unit...

For doing small stuff like mending lawn mower decks and making shelves
etc..it works well enough.

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).
The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

tglenn

I have a CH wire feeder .I've used it almost everyday for 6 years and it
still works fine.Ernie is right about using them on sheet metal. When I weld
anything thinner than 1/16" I have to use a series of over lapping tacks.
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Harbor Freight is advertising a "gasless" flux wire welder. It looks to

be
a wire welder with no gas required - Migless, Tigless ??. What are they
advertising here?
Bob Swinney

Four questions form novice to welding mongke Metalworking 7 January 1st 04 04:12 AM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM
Cheap Welding Wire Wanted (uk)... Please Recomend mark Metalworking 0 October 27th 03 01:40 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM