ED ROGERS

Default Homier schematic

Where can you get the schematic for the 7x12 lathe with the SCR
controller instead of the newer MOSFET type?This is the older model
lathe and supposedly is not made by Sieg.The controller is American made
and the board with the power resistors and relay is on a sub-board.

Wild Bill

I don't have any information about these lathes, but I'm not sure of what
you're looking for.
Do you need a wiring diagram for the electrical wiring, or are you trying to
identify failed electronic components on one of the circuit boards?

The wiring diagrams from other lathes of the same size would probably be
similar enough to complete (or correct) the machine's electrical wiring.
Identifying circuit board components is entirely different in ost cases,
since most board producers will often change suppliers and components based
upon whatever's on sale this week (or so it seems).

There are Yahoo (and other) groups for these lathes.. you might encounter
someone with the identical model that you have.

If you're trying to identify failed or badly burned components, that's a
more complicated process, but there are some ways to accomplish this.

WB

"ED ROGERS" wrote in message
Where can you get the schematic for the 7x12 lathe with the SCR
controller instead of the newer MOSFET type?This is the older model
lathe and supposedly is not made by Sieg.The controller is American made
and the board with the power resistors and relay is on a sub-board.

ED ROGERS

My controller board went south but since it was American made I used
their factory authorized repair facility and turnaround was only 2
days.I want the schematic for the sub-board and switches.This lathe was
not made by Sieg and the wiring is different from other lathes that seem
to look like it.My board had a random component failure that took 3
other parts with it.There was no external burnt parts.

jim rozen

In article , ED ROGERS says...

My controller board went south but since it was American made I used
their factory authorized repair facility and turnaround was only 2
days.I want the schematic for the sub-board and switches.This lathe was
not made by Sieg and the wiring is different from other lathes that seem
to look like it.My board had a random component failure that took 3
other parts with it.There was no external burnt parts.

I hate to say this but a lot of times the manufacturers have
no interest in providing schematics for electrics that accompany
a machine like that. Especially for lower end items, they simply
cannot provide any factory repair or trouble-shooting so the
diagram is not useful to them, there's nobody there who can
understand it.

Often the electrics are done by another OEM manufacturer and
even they don't share technical information with the machinery
maker.

Your best bet is to either a) reverse-engineer the board,
or b) get in contact with somebody who has. I tried to get
a schematic for Hardinge's feed module boards, and through
no fault of theirs, it was simply impossible. And they're
one of the better companies about support. I finally did
reverse engineer it and drew a schematic.

It's not that tough to do, and after a few go-arounds
the topology of your print almost starts to look correct!

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

ED ROGERS

Thanks for your help.When I looked originally inside the control box I
thought the Chinese had come a long way with their electronic component
quality.Taking it out I saw the decal saying made in USA.The
switches,relay and sub-board are Chinese and look it.The US product was
made by a company that seems to exclusively make motor controllers.The
Chinese perhaps found it easier to use an American off the shelf
product.I will build an external controller to hold in reserve if
needed.I have a few books on the shelf for designing solid state
circuitry.Next time I replace the drive belt will also do the reverse
engineering suggestion.

Offbreed

ED ROGERS wrote:

Thanks for your help.When I looked originally inside the control box I
thought the Chinese had come a long way with their electronic component
quality.Taking it out I saw the decal saying made in USA.The

Maybe there's an FCC identification number on it, like computer cards
have?

ED ROGERS

I have fixed the lathe already,just wanted to have more info on the
electronics.There was no FCC ID.Don't think PWM circuitry requires
it.Homier is clueless on the circuitry in the control box.They were my
first contact trying to get information.I don't think they know they
have 2 kinds of control boards(SCR&MOSFET).I have only talked to women
on the phone and methinks that says it all.

jim rozen

In article , ED ROGERS says...

I don't think they know they
have 2 kinds of control boards(SCR&MOSFET).I have only talked to women
on the phone and methinks that says it all.

Uh oh, diversity police time!

Why don't you simply draw your own schematic of the
boards? They're not potted are they?

Jim

please reply to:

ED ROGERS

The board is not potted.Other than caps and resistors the other parts
are proprietary.When I called the manufacturer of the SCR's they told me
the numbers on them came from the board maker.The board maker will not
give up the information.Will add a jack to run it from an external
controller if it gives trouble again.Been using the lathe for 2 years
and this is the first trouble with it.Best $299 I ever spent on a tool.

SomeBody

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:49:57 -0500, ED ROGERS wrote:

Where can you get the schematic for the 7x12 lathe with the SCR
controller instead of the newer MOSFET type?This is the older model
lathe and supposedly is not made by Sieg.The controller is American made
and the board with the power resistors and relay is on a sub-board.

I have the older model Homier mini-lathe and had my controller got fried.
I got another one from Homier as warranty replacement. I did some research
on the controller and found a site that will repair them for a fee, I also
found some info on the boards them selfs. Although not a schematic it does
have some info that you might not have.

The board is manufactured, I don't know if all of them are the same
manufacturer, but mine is this one, by : "Penta KB power" KBIC controller.

I have a couple pdf files on this board, no schematics as said before. It
has the pots that con be adjusted and some info on them, etc...

email if you want them.

zbadone At earthlink dot net

A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD XP2500+ (Un-locked)
2x256mb Crucial PC3200 DDR ram
Palit-Daytona Ti4200/64M AGP

jim rozen

In article , ED ROGERS says...

The board is not potted.Other than caps and resistors the other parts
are proprietary.

If they are three terminal devices it's unlikely they're
proprietary. What are the numbers on them, run them in a good
cross-reference guide like the ECG catalog.

Jim

please reply to:

ED ROGERS

I should have used proprietary information instead.To the other poster I
had the board repaired by a KB authorized repair station.Just was
surprised at hitting impediments trying to get information.There was no
cross-reference to the SCR's on the standard ECG&NTE listings.There is
also a 16 pin IC with a house number.They seem to keep data as a need to
know basis.

Edward Dekker

Check with the folks at http://www.littlemachineshop.com they sell
replacement parts and accessaries for the mini lathes. I remember
seeing replacement SCRs on the web site a while back.

Also check the links on http://www.mini-lathe.com/Links.htm and the
yahoo 7x10 mini lathe group.

Ed

(ED ROGERS) wrote:

Where can you get the schematic for the 7x12 lathe with the SCR
controller instead of the newer MOSFET type?This is the older model
lathe and supposedly is not made by Sieg.The controller is American made
and the board with the power resistors and relay is on a sub-board.

ED ROGERS

I have used Little Machine shop for different items and advice.They have
replacement Mosfets but not Scrs.