Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave

Default DIY locknuts, zero cost, making them: alternate ideas, anyone?

need some .375 course locknuts. due to extreme costs of fuel, and of
items in stores lately, I don't feel like paying the $6.32 EACH involved
costs would be to procure three. already have plenty .375 NC nuts
sitting around here doing nothing anyway.

approaches:

A. one hacksaw-cut nut parallel with bolt long axis, squeeze in vice.

B. same as above, torch red to heat, squeeze in vice, no hacksaw cut

C. squeeze in vice, no red heat AND no cut, 'just do it'

D. 'peen' the carriage bolt threads some, no locknut needed

E. already tried this: use a metric nut on a NC-threaded bolt, and hope
for a interference fit: unfortunately, the old VW engine mounting nuts I
have seem to be very nearly -precisely- the exact thread size as 3/8 NC
threaded carriage bolt thread :-(

F. heat bolt near-red, apply some 'braze' to the threads...

other faster simpler cheaper approaches welcome

thanks,

toolie :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article 8h27g.57427$IZ2.31951@dukeread07,
dave wrote:

other faster simpler cheaper approaches welcome

Attach nut, cut off bolt so it sticks out 1/8 inch or so, peen the end
of the bolt.

Apply epoxy to bolt, install nut.

Salt the bolt, install nut, spray with salt water ;-)

Install bolt & nut, fire up welder, weld together.

Install bolt and nut, drill and pin.

Install bolt and nut leaving several inches of bolt sticking out. Bend
over bolt with sledgehammer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Ecnerwal" other faster simpler cheaper approaches welcome
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Loc-tite.
Hack-saw nut to make a pair of jam nuts.
Drill thru tightened nut and bolt--insert cotter pin.
Drill endwise into interface between nut and bolt. Drive in roll pin or
taper pin.
Leave wrench on the tightened nut, and tie with wire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article 8h27g.57427$IZ2.31951@dukeread07, dave says...

other faster simpler cheaper approaches welcome

Keep a bottle of red locktite on your shelf. Clean
bolt and nut, apply red locktite. Amortized over
the thousands of fasteners it can do, the cost is
a couple of cents per application.

Heat with torch to disassemble.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:20:49 -0400, dave
wrote:

[...]

Loctite 242 (the blue stuff) if you might ever want to remove the nut.
Loctite 271 (the red stuff) if you can use heat when you ever need to
remove the nut.

toolie :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

McMaster.com saves a lot of fuel costs.

They have very inexpensive chipping charges. I no longer buy my nuts
and bolts at local stores, except in emergency. It is much cheaper at McMaster.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On 6 May 2006 08:43:52 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article 8h27g.57427$IZ2.31951@dukeread07, dave says...

other faster simpler cheaper approaches welcome

Keep a bottle of red locktite on your shelf. Clean
bolt and nut, apply red locktite. Amortized over
the thousands of fasteners it can do, the cost is
a couple of cents per application.

Heat with torch to disassemble.

Jim

To secure a brand new 5" Wilton machinist's vise at work, I had 1"
plate cut to vise base profile, holes drilled and tapped
appropriately, plate welded to work bench (1/2" plate top), and cap
screws cut to length then red loctited in place.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article 8h27g.57427$IZ2.31951@dukeread07,
dave wrote:

[...]

other faster simpler cheaper approaches welcome

thanks,

toolie :-)

Nut + backup nut. Screw against each other tightly.

Or put the nut on a bolt you don't need, set the nut on an anvil,
whack it with a hammer until it comes off the bolt tightly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Stand nut upright on anvil. Place blunt center punch in center of top flat.
Slam punch with big hammer. They make this type commercially.
Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

I build race cars.

If I have something important enough to require the use of a locknut, I'm
not about to save a penny or two by cobbling up some sort of inferior
replacement for said locknut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article 01c671d6$9fe0fce0$5890c3d8@race, * says...

I build race cars.

Then you probably don't even *use* locknuts.

You probably secure vital fasteners with either castelated
nuts with a cotter pin, or use the appropriate thread
locking compound.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

jim rozen wrote in article
In article 01c671d6$9fe0fce0$5890c3d8@race, * says...

I build race cars.

Then you probably don't even *use* locknuts.

You probably secure vital fasteners with either castelated
nuts with a cotter pin, or use the appropriate thread
locking compound.

Close!!!

I really cannot think of many cotter pins.....safety wire, but very few
cotter pins.

I don't cotter pin steering components. I Loctite them......makes it
quicker to change a bent tie rod under a yellow flag period.......

If I build a car and choose to NOT use Loctite in the steering components,
I use a short cowling pin - looks a bit like a safety pin. This, too, is
quicker to remove than a cotter pin under yellow flag repair conditions.

There are a number of nylock nuts used on suspension arms that I want to
"float" without loosening up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Loctite is the best. But, if you have room, tighten assembly, then cut
bolt off 1/8 - 1/4" beyond nut, then rather than peening the whole
thing over, just go to work with a center punch on the center of the
bolt. This will expand it enough to hold the nut on. Welding is the
second best method, a good spot weld and it isn't going anywhere, at
least not this side of reality. Nylock nuts are a great thing, but
highly over rated, one use and they're junk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I worked in a custom 4 wheel drive shop for awhile, and we didn't trust
them, Loctited everything. I used some Nylocks on my personal truck and
ended up double nutting everything I could. When it wasn't in the mud
or water, it was bombing down the roads. I was even pulling the threads
out of the extra tall nuts on the u-bolts that hold the axles to the
springs, so all of those were double nutted with the extra tall nuts as
well. Plus the u-bolts were one size larger than it was manufactured
with. If you wanted to find out if something would break, all you had
to do was bolt it on that truck, sometimes parts would break just
getting near it. So yeah either it's the abusive evironment or just me.

Also, I'm not really clear on how this works, but elongation of the
bolt or stud is how things remain tight. From my understanding that's
why you torque a fastener, to apply the proper amount of preload.