Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Default DIY locknuts, zero cost, making them: alternate ideas, anyone?

jim rozen wrote in article
In article 01c671d6$9fe0fce0$5890c3d8@race, * says...

I build race cars.

Then you probably don't even *use* locknuts.

You probably secure vital fasteners with either castelated
nuts with a cotter pin, or use the appropriate thread
locking compound.

Close!!!

I really cannot think of many cotter pins.....safety wire, but very few
cotter pins.

I don't cotter pin steering components. I Loctite them......makes it
quicker to change a bent tie rod under a yellow flag period.......

If I build a car and choose to NOT use Loctite in the steering components,
I use a short cowling pin - looks a bit like a safety pin. This, too, is
quicker to remove than a cotter pin under yellow flag repair conditions.

There are a number of nylock nuts used on suspension arms that I want to
"float" without loosening up.