Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default DIY locknuts, zero cost, making them: alternate ideas, anyone?

In article . com,
wrote:

[snip]

Also, I'm not really clear on how this works, but elongation of the
bolt or stud is how things remain tight. From my understanding that's
why you torque a fastener, to apply the proper amount of preload.

That's exactly right. The point of the preload is to ensure that the
force on the fastener *never* reverses, so the anti-turning friction
never relents.

A good example is lug nuts on a wheel rim - the lug nuts are cones that
wedge into a hemispherical spring (stamped into the rim). This holds,
despite the total lack of lockwashers et al.

Joe Gwinn