Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default Grinder pedestal

I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder pedestals any good? It's
hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Probably serviceable, proly like the Sears pedestal I have, but nothing to
write home about.

They are painfully easy to kluge, tho. I made a couple thusly:
1/4-1/2" plate, about 16x24--long enough that you can actually stand on the
front, to stabilize the grinder as you use it. I glued cork on the bottom.
1.5-2" angle iron or tubing. You can easily get concentric square or round
tubing, if you want it to telescope, for height adjustments.
Some 45 deg bracing at the bottom.
A suitably sized/drilled plate on top. On which you could also fashion lips
etc for water holders, goosenecks, etc.
On the vertical angle iron or tubing, you could also weld some shelving to
hold wheels, paraphernalia, altho vibration on some grinders might make this
more of an annoyance than a help.

A welder is pretty much req'd for this project.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder pedestals
any good? It's hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Alex wrote:
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder pedestals
any good? It's hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

I've stood in front of them. They seem to me to be of medium construction but
quite short. If you are 5'9" tall or shorter you might be able to use one as is,
but I think most people will have to increase the height. You could do this
quickly by putting it on a block of wood, or you could cut the column and splice
in a piece of pipe which would probably be more satisfactory.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Got a welder? Make one.
I made a few using 15" auto wheels and 4" iron pipe with a top plate cut
to fit the grinder. I cut the shallow side off the wheel and use the
deep side for the base. To make it more stable I extended the pipe
through the rim and welded a cross brace, then dumped in some lead shot
to fill the pipe to the level of the rim. Makes it nice and stable, and
by having a round base I can just tilt it and wheel it around as needed.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder

pedestals any good? It's
hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

If you left the tire on the rim, you'd have extra stability and good
vibration damping as well.
Just have to fill it up once in a while, w/ air.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Steve W." wrote in message
Got a welder? Make one.
I made a few using 15" auto wheels and 4" iron pipe with a top plate cut
to fit the grinder. I cut the shallow side off the wheel and use the
deep side for the base. To make it more stable I extended the pipe
through the rim and welded a cross brace, then dumped in some lead shot
to fill the pipe to the level of the rim. Makes it nice and stable, and
by having a round base I can just tilt it and wheel it around as needed.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder

pedestals any good? It's
hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Steve W. wrote:
... dumped in some lead shot
to fill the pipe to the level of the rim. ...

Does that mean that you have a source for cheap shot? I was looking for
some to make a shot beater bag and I couldn't afford it. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder pedestals
any good? It's hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

I have found pedestal grinders to be very unstable. Depending, of course on
what is being ground. A TIG tungsten grinder would be fine on a car rim
pedestal. But when you want to exert a little force, they usually can be
tippy, particularly with a good heavy grinder on top. And the rule is: the
more the grinder costs, the easier it will be to fall over and hit the
floor.

So, I like either mounting it to a plate, and then to the floor, mounting it
to a bench or stationary object, or making a stand where the area you stand
is part of the base, and adds greater stability to whole contraption.

YMM(and probably does)V

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Steve B wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Um, haven't you noticed that all the commercial grinder pedestals insist
you bolt them to the floor?

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Exactly. That's what I did. Rubber or cork between the base and floor
helps w/ vibration, as well as "walking".
Course, if you used a truck rim and tire, you could stand on that, too!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Steve B" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Course, if you used a truck rim and tire, you could stand on that, too!

Doubt I can get that one into my cellar!
http://www.liebherr.com/lh/en/5021_48972.asp

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Pete C." wrote

Um, haven't you noticed that all the commercial grinder pedestals insist
you bolt them to the floor?

Pete C.

Um, my wife "insists" I do a lot of things. I usually end up doing some of
them like she wants, others are compromises, and others go on the "list of
things to never do".

There's a hundred ways to cook poodle, but it all ends up tasting like
chicken.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Depends on what you call cheap. I picked up 50 pounds of # 10 for 15
bucks last week. Couple local shops usually have good prices, Even
Gander Mtn. had a good price on shot a few weeks ago but I already have
quite a bit on hand.

--

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Steve W. wrote:
... dumped in some lead shot
to fill the pipe to the level of the rim. ...

Does that mean that you have a source for cheap shot? I was looking

for
some to make a shot beater bag and I couldn't afford it. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

True but I'm using this one on a wood apron outside my smithy.

--

"Steve W." wrote in message
Got a welder? Make one.
I made a few using 15" auto wheels and 4" iron pipe with a top plate

cut
to fit the grinder. I cut the shallow side off the wheel and use the
deep side for the base. To make it more stable I extended the pipe
through the rim and welded a cross brace, then dumped in some lead

shot
to fill the pipe to the level of the rim. Makes it nice and stable,

and
by having a round base I can just tilt it and wheel it around as

needed.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder

pedestals any good? It's
hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+
Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jgandalf

Alex wrote:
I am looking for a heavy duty grinder pedestal. Are HF grinder pedestals any good? It's
hard to tell from the picture on their website.

Thanks,
Alex

I have one each of the HF pedestals. The cheaper one is too short, as
others have said. I mounted my grinder on a short chunk of 6X6 to bring
it up to a useable height. It also is rather light weight.

OTOH, the more expensive one is taller, quite heavy and supports my
buffer very well. It can be found on sale for around 30 bucks.

I'm making a third one out of a Hoffman pedestal (made for mounting
electrical control boxes). The hollow, square column will contain the
belt from the lower mounted motor going up to the mandrel mounted on
top. With the large base plate, it should be pretty stable, too.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Steve W. wrote:
Depends on what you call cheap. I picked up 50 pounds of # 10 for 15
bucks last week. ...

I think that's quite reasonable. IIRC, the prices I found locally were
quite a bit more ($1/lb ??). Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Diamond Jim

"Steve W." wrote in message
Got a welder? Make one.
I made a few using 15" auto wheels and 4" iron pipe with a top plate cut
to fit the grinder. I cut the shallow side off the wheel and use the
deep side for the base. To make it more stable I extended the pipe
through the rim and welded a cross brace, then dumped in some lead shot
to fill the pipe to the level of the rim. Makes it nice and stable, and
by having a round base I can just tilt it and wheel it around as needed.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

I have made them from 15-inch wheel rims also. They work pretty well.

But the best one I made is for my 10-inch grinder. I used a flywheel I
salvaged from an auto junk yard. I believe it is from some kind of old gas
truck engine from the 40's-50's. It's 20 inches in diameter and about
2 -inches thick at the thickest part and only ¾-inch at the thinnest. Must
weigh close to 75-80 pounds at least.

Regular Chevy V-8 flywheels are what I used as a base for my 6-inch grinder
and my 8-inch grinder/polisher. I also have made base's for volley ball nets
out of 15-inch wheel rims and 1-inch pipe, and also a tether ball pole.

Diamond Jim