Posted to sci.engr.metallurgy,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default seek small gold smelter personal use

I have 2 pounds of scrap gold, 14 & 18kt I would like to smelt at home
for resale. Dealers offered 85-90% of gold content and you do not know
if you are getting a straight count. Are there inexpensive methods to
refine this scrap into pure gold.

Posted to sci.engr.metallurgy,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jean-Paul Roy

Such a little beast exists. It's called a Turbo Smelter and operates out of
propane. It's made in Canada by Mill Ore Industries, Timmins Ontario.
Here is their link:
http://www.mill-ore.com/

Hope this helps

J.P.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have 2 pounds of scrap gold, 14 & 18kt I would like to smelt at home
for resale. Dealers offered 85-90% of gold content and you do not know
if you are getting a straight count. Are there inexpensive methods to
refine this scrap into pure gold.

Posted to sci.engr.metallurgy,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

I think the real question was about purifying the scrap. It is simple
to melt gold in a crucible with an OA torch, but you don't know what
alloys you're dealing with. If you try to sell re-melted gold, you will
be required to furnish a certified assay.
There are two common ways to purify it. Chemical solution and selective
precipitation; and electrolytic deposition. Neither way is cheap.
Bugs

Posted to sci.engr.metallurgy,rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson

Get a quote to smelt, refine and certify assay from these guys. It
would seem to me that you're going to have to provide an assay to a
serious buyer in any case. You'll recover your costs from the buyer
with increased confidence. -Mike
http://www.hauserandmiller.com/

Posted to sci.engr.metallurgy,rec.crafts.metalworking

We have been using Hallmark Refining for many, many years and always
found them to be honest, pleasant and efficient.

We generate a lot of scrap containing silver. Since we melt metal and
work with chemical treatments of metal I have looked at both approaches
over the years. I pretty well determined that it would be a lot of
money and work for a product that would be unsaleable.

It would be fun to do.

Hallmark Refining Corporation
1016 Dale Lane
Mt. Vernon, WA 98273
(800) 255-1895
(360) 428-5880
(360) 424-8118 FAX
http://www.hallmarkrefining.com/i_about.htm

tom

Posted to sci.engr.metallurgy,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

You need to do some research on the specific alloys, and what is in them.
You should be able to use acid to burn out some of the base metals, then
melt it in a crucible with oxy-acetylene to burn off the remaining traces.
If it has a lot of silver or platinum in it, then that may be harder to
separate
out.

I've been doing some reclamation of electronic scrap (24 Kt gold plated onto
essentially pure base metals) which is an entirely different process.
I've been
using Technic's Tecni-strip AU to selectively remove the gold without
attacking
the base metals, and it works great. I have recovered about 10 grams of
gold
so far, and I'm just getting started with the process.

Jon

wrote:

I have 2 pounds of scrap gold, 14 & 18kt I would like to smelt at home
for resale. Dealers offered 85-90% of gold content and you do not know
if you are getting a straight count. Are there inexpensive methods to
refine this scrap into pure gold.

mixing scrap gold mewthree Metalworking 12 November 18th 05 10:56 AM
gold smelting Jon Elson Metalworking 10 August 12th 05 08:27 PM
SEEK: small (or folding) pocket screwdriver Zak UK diy 5 April 26th 05 10:23 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Gold and Silver Roy's Junk Metalworking 24 December 26th 03 09:47 PM