Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default [OT] A Sage in Christendom -- A personal tribute to Bernard Lewis.

It's a long article about Bernard Lewis, a Historian and Orientalist
with great understanding of Islam. The most striking quote is this:

'The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, which once translated one of Mr.
Lewis's books into Arabic, said that his book was "the work of a candid
friend or an honest enemy." '

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008313

Joe Gwinn

Wall Street Journal, 1 May 2006, page A14.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
It's a long article about Bernard Lewis, a Historian and Orientalist
with great understanding of Islam. The most striking quote is this:

'The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, which once translated one of Mr.
Lewis's books into Arabic, said that his book was "the work of a candid
friend or an honest enemy." '

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008313

Joe Gwinn

Wall Street Journal, 1 May 2006, page A14.

Thanks Joe - an interesting read.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
It's a long article about Bernard Lewis, a Historian and Orientalist
with great understanding of Islam. The most striking quote is this:

'The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, which once translated one of Mr.
Lewis's books into Arabic, said that his book was "the work of a candid
friend or an honest enemy." '

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008313

Joe Gwinn

Wall Street Journal, 1 May 2006, page A14.

Thanks Joe - an interesting read.

Andrew VK3BFA.

I bought Lewis's book "What Went Wrong" shortly after 9/11. It took a while
to read, Lewis is way more smarter than anyone and writes that way. But it
opened my eyes to what is going on. It should be required reading for every
human being. A beautiful tribute to a great man. Thank you.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article .com,
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
It's a long article about Bernard Lewis, a Historian and Orientalist
with great understanding of Islam. The most striking quote is this:

'The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, which once translated one of Mr.
Lewis's books into Arabic, said that his book was "the work of a candid
friend or an honest enemy." '

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008313

Joe Gwinn

Wall Street Journal, 1 May 2006, page A14.

Thanks Joe - an interesting read.

Andrew VK3BFA.

I found it quite interesting too.

I recall some stories about a year ago complaining about Bernard Lewis'
unpolitic opinions about the politics of the Middle East, but I don't
recall enough to find those stories.

Joe Gwinn