Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Default Where to find a used safe?

We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Not off hand, but I acquired a fairly nice safe for free that the
combination was lost to opne time, and managed to cut into it from
the side, with a hole large enough to get my hand through. Much to my
surprise there wsa a label inside with the combination stuck to the
back of the door. A few turns CW / CCW and I had the door open....I
even found an old Mercury dime...........I later welded in the piece I
had initially cut out, filled in the fire proof material in the core
and wepaired the inner wall, ground the outside down and repainted it.
Its still being used here at home.

HOw about that ad on TV for those safes .......no idea how expensive
they are, but ya never know....Odds are going through a locksmith for
anaything is gonna be $$$$$$$$$$$ and probably all the gold old safe
crackers are long gone ;-)
On Mon, 1 May 2006 20:48:47 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:
We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Ask around, keep your eyes open, check with the local locksmiths. I
know, I know, you think they will be expensive. You may be surprised.
What you are looking for is the guy at work who asked me a few weeks
back, "you know anyone who wants a BIG, UGLY, HEAVY safe?" We are
thinking of moving and I don't want to move that thing again. Sorry,
midwest location.

You will want to have the combination changed.

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

A friend has a retired automatic teller safe. It's pretty substantial,
obviously. Nothing shady about how he got it by the way - automatic teller
technology advances, albeit slower than personal computer tech, and when it
does atm's are retired and the electronics/money handling portions are
removed. Some places may make them available as scrap though the safe
portion is still a safe, and functional. Couldn't tell you a specific place
to look but googling atm builders might put you on the trail.

StaticsJason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

Come and get it! Is Cleveland too far? It's like a 3' cube or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Bob Chilcoat writes:

Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap?

You want a small UL rated money safe. Forget anything that isn't UL
rated for burglary. The rating will be something like TL-15 for 15
minutes. This means it you had the safe in a machine shop, it would
still take 15 minutes to get inside.

When I had a storefront years ago, I obtained such an item very cheaply
from a credit union that was growing and moving. Used safes are very
hard to sell, so you can probably get one cheaply. The hard part is
finding one.

A big old safe is probably not as secure as a small modern one. Mine
was only about an 18 inch cube, but it had 1-inch thick walls, hardened
inserts, and was anchored to the concrete slab through holes on the
bottom. I bought bags of lead reloading shot and filled it up about
halfway so that it weighed over 1000 lbs. Not many thieves can hoist a
cube that size and weight. The shot costs a bit, but it is a readily
resold commodity. The shop was burglarized 3 times, but the bad guys
never even attempted the safe.

When I closed the shop, I wound up selling the safe and the lead to a
jeweler who needed a UL safe to satify his insurance underwriters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

"Cheap" and "church" implies that someone might be willing to donate
some time. It is not hard to open most safes if a person has
patience, time, and a bit of skill. A very interesting treatise on
this was written by an expert on IT security who got interested in
physical security because it's a much more mature technology.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Dykes

wrote:

We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into. I once
went to a used office supply that had a lot of safes, free for the taking.
They were hundreds of pounds weight and would have needed to have been
"cracked" since the combinations were long gone. That company is out of
business. Anyone know of another place I might find a safe in the
central/northern NJ area that we could get cheap? Thanks.

"Cheap" and "church" implies that someone might be willing to donate
some time. It is not hard to open most safes if a person has
patience, time, and a bit of skill. A very interesting treatise on
this was written by an expert on IT security who got interested in
physical security because it's a much more mature technology.

Google for "lock hacking" or something like that. Also

www.security.org

http://www.toool.nl/index-eng.php

http://store.2600.com/lockpicking1.html

I've seen these folks show and teach what they know. Very impressive.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. Proudly then, even more so in hindsight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

We want to get a safe for a church that was recently broken into.

Put a "wanted" ad in your local Quick Quarter, Nifty Nickel cheapo want ads
rag. Be sure to mention it will be tax deductible at full price if donated.
If you don't end up with one free, you will probably hit someone who has one
who will sell it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Thanks for all the ideas. I was offered one big safe for free from someone
on this group, but it was considered too big by the Pastor. They ended up
getting a small safe from Staples. It will only discourage casual thieves,
but that's all they really need. How many pros knock over impoverished
inner city churches?