Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default WTB-Rent 7/8-5 Acme tap

Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .

Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:08:52 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .

Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

==========
Depending on your time frame and condition of existing parts it
may be possible to use babbit [old technique] or epoxy/moglice
[new technique] to [re]form the internal threads in place using
the lead screws as a mold. Apparently this seems to hold up
fairly well. Be sure to smoke or apply mold release to threads.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Gunner :
Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .

Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

For that -- I would probably use a 3/4" or slightly smaller
boring bar with a HSS tool ground to the Acme 5 TPI thread profile.

I certainly don't have a tap of that size. Actually, all that
I *do* have a tap for is a 1/2-10 LH Acme tap to match the cross-feed
leadscrew on my Clausing.

Out of curiosity -- are these right-hand or left-hand threads?

And how much will your squished finger get in the way of this?
(I presume that you did take it to a doctor after sprinkling everything
in the vicinity?) I wish that I had a tape recorder to record the
record stream of invective you generated. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 30 Apr 2006 03:40:39 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Gunner :
Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .

Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

For that -- I would probably use a 3/4" or slightly smaller
boring bar with a HSS tool ground to the Acme 5 TPI thread profile.

As it happens..a friend who owns a grinding shop needs several dozen
nuts made as well. Ive assisted him in developing a retrofit package
for very old Kwick-Way OD grinders, and we are doing several dozen
machines he has in storage. If it works as well as I think it will
over time..we may market this. Then of course we will do the nuts
properly

I certainly don't have a tap of that size. Actually, all that
I *do* have a tap for is a 1/2-10 LH Acme tap to match the cross-feed
leadscrew on my Clausing.

Out of curiosity -- are these right-hand or left-hand threads?

Right hand.

And how much will your squished finger get in the way of this?
(I presume that you did take it to a doctor after sprinkling everything
in the vicinity?) I wish that I had a tape recorder to record the
record stream of invective you generated. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Doctor? Hell..they are for something serious. Or if you have
insurance.

The company owner who dropped it, Jeff...fluttered around with some
bandaids which were totaly useless..and after running my hand in cold
water for several moments, washed it well with soap and water. I
asked him to come out to my truck and dig out my Go Bag. I debrided
the loose skin with the sicssors from my surgical kit (he couldnt do
it..a bit green and loose in the knees..shrug), rinsed everything well
with betadine solution, realized that sutures wouldn help, put a
sterile eye patch gauze pad on both sides of the finger..had him wrap
it with tape, then taped an aluminum (metal content) finger splint to
the finger, then want back and finished the job.

I changed the dressing that evening,..popped a rather large hemmatoma
in the joint, cut a drain hole in the now deflated bubble, redressed
after another soap/water and betadine wash and worked all Friday with
that damned splint getting in the way.

This morning about 10ish am..I cut the splint off along with the
dressing, did a bit more debriding, nice pink skin in the wound,
spread in some antibiotic cream, rewrapped, left off the splint and
went out to do some crank turning for a buddy who needed an adapter
built for a C-face motor conversion on a very elderly Trane air
conditioner for a little old lady who is on O2, cause it hit 87F here
today and she wasnt doing well in the heat. By 2pm..the bandage had
sloughed off..but the wound wasnt a bother, put some plastic spray
over it and finished the job. It actually doesnt look to bad, all
things considered. Ive got a nice wide cigar band in interesting
colors around that joint..but its fully functional and healing
nicely. Im glad I didnt need sutures as Im afraid poor old Jeff wasnt
up to the task, and though Ive stiched myself up before..it tends to
be a long drawn out process putting a curved needle through your own
skin if you dont have any topical anethetic. Its not really the pain
so much as you know how much the first one hurt..and nerving up for
the next one takes a bit in mental prep. Shrug..so Im a pussy.

After the whole thing was over..Jeff started laughing (mostly in
relief) and commented that I didnt repeat any words in my rant for
over 5 minutes, and some words he had never heard before. Shrug. ****
me running but that hurt for a bit.

But its a relief now being able to type without that splint being in
the way. I had to hunt and peck a bit when I first posted when I got
home at 2am Saturday morning from LA.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Just another Candy ass Huh ?

Think not -

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:
On 30 Apr 2006 03:40:39 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Gunner :

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:10:03 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Just another Candy ass Huh ?

Think not -

Martin

Shucks Martin..you have been over to the homestead..and you know that
Im a simple Walter Mitty type..little bitty harmless lovable fuzzball.
A nebish.

btw..Im trying to find out the best way to ship your hoist. Its about
75 lbs best as I can figure. I did paint it up for you. I hope you
like Shocking Pink Dayglo. I tried to accentuate it with Cobalt Blue
Paisley..but it was tedious painting in all the little squiggles.

Gunner

Gunner wrote:
On 30 Apr 2006 03:40:39 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Gunner :

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:08:52 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .
Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

I think I have one, will check tonight. Gunsmithing thread, right?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 1 May 2006 16:59:41 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:08:52 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .
Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

I think I have one, will check tonight. Gunsmithing thread, right?

Blink ..I dont think Ive ever seen a breech on a small arm in that
long an acme lead.

But please check indeed.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:58:18 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 1 May 2006 16:59:41 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:08:52 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .
Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

I think I have one, will check tonight. Gunsmithing thread, right?

Blink ..I dont think Ive ever seen a breech on a small arm in that
long an acme lead.

Dunno, but the tooling I've inherited includes many oddball things, most
of which are gunsmithing related. Many of which I am yet to figure out
what they're for.

But please check indeed.

If you don't see email to your lightspeed account tonight, please remind
me. My memory has been like, um, one of those things with all the holes
in it, lately.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Sure it is 7/8-5 and not 7/8-6 ? Selection guide shows 6 not 5 for that size.

Naturally specials were always in Guns and machines.

Gunner wrote:
On 1 May 2006 16:59:41 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:08:52 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Looking to make some lead screw nuts from alum or silicon bronze .
Need 7/8-5 acme tap.

I think I have one, will check tonight. Gunsmithing thread, right?

Blink ..I dont think Ive ever seen a breech on a small arm in that
long an acme lead.

But please check indeed.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Sure it is 7/8-5 and not 7/8-6 ? Selection guide shows 6 not 5 for that size.

Naturally specials were always in Guns and machines.

Martin
Martin Eastburn

Remember, he was talking lead screw. When it's a lead screw, or
particularly a feed screw, you're much more likely to see 4 or 5 or 8
or 10 - something that will let the dial markings come out even without
any gearing. I'd hate to work with a dial that went to 166-2/3.

Gunner - I'd be interested to know what you come up with. I've got an
old Heald horizontal mill with a badly worn X feed nut. It's a 7/8 x
5.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 01 May 2006 20:50:15 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Sure it is 7/8-5 and not 7/8-6 ? Selection guide shows 6 not 5 for that size.

7/8-5 is .200 per revolution is it not?

Gunner

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 1 May 2006 21:37:07 -0700, "John Martin"
wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Sure it is 7/8-5 and not 7/8-6 ? Selection guide shows 6 not 5 for that size.

Naturally specials were always in Guns and machines.

Martin
Martin Eastburn

Remember, he was talking lead screw. When it's a lead screw, or
particularly a feed screw, you're much more likely to see 4 or 5 or 8
or 10 - something that will let the dial markings come out even without
any gearing. I'd hate to work with a dial that went to 166-2/3.

Gunner - I'd be interested to know what you come up with. I've got an
old Heald horizontal mill with a badly worn X feed nut. It's a 7/8 x
5.

John Martin

Email me your snail mail addy and when I get some made up, Ill send
you a threaded blank, for free. Give me some specs to work from..OD
etc.

Im still trying to figure out the best material to use..bronze,
Aluminum Bronze, Silicone Bronze etc.

Any suggestions?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Sure it is 7/8-5 and not 7/8-6 ? Selection guide shows 6 not 5 for that size.

7/8-5 is .200 per revolution is it not?

Unless something has changed, yes. Checked the tap I've got, it's not
what you need. Close but wrong. You know how that whole mental image
memory thing works...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Not arguing with the turns ratio - just what is sold as standard.
The -5 is standard for 1".

Naturally machine makers do as they wish or have to.

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

wrote:

Gunner - I'd be interested to know what you come up with. I've got an
old Heald horizontal mill with a badly worn X feed nut. It's a 7/8 x
5.

John Martin

Email me your snail mail addy and when I get some made up, Ill send
you a threaded blank, for free. Give me some specs to work from..OD
etc.

Im still trying to figure out the best material to use..bronze,
Aluminum Bronze, Silicone Bronze etc.

Any suggestions?

Gunner

Thanks, Gunner.

The current nut is one of those that's shaped like a pillow block -
flat base with a hump. I was planning to make one from a rectangular
bar. My guess is that you'd prefer to work with a simple round bar -
which I had thought about doing, soldering or pressing the completed
nut into a base piece bored for it. I'll have to pull the table off to
get some dimensions, and I'll email you with them.

Haven't seen anyone yet make any specific material recommendations. I
don't know much about the bronzes. The aluminum bronzes seem to be for
high strength and high impact uses, possibly high temp as well, where
corrosion is a problem. Not sure about the silicon bronzes, but they
seem to be somewhat the same. None of those are very machinable. For
bearings, which seem to be a closer usage to feed screw nuts, it looks
like phosphor bronze, plain bronze or gunmetal are the choices, with
lead added for machinability. Low lead that is - 1 to 3%. There are
also some high lead bronzes with 20% or more lead, but those are a
different animal. Hope this helps.

John Martin