Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Acme Nut sources for Verticle mill

The next project on my winter agenda..is to fix the combination mill I
dragged home a year ago..

Its badged Hales..your typical 2/3 sized vertical kinda sorta BP clone
miller with a horizontal spindle under the ram. Pretty sweet footprint
and a machine Im going to keep for myself. R8 in both spindles..power
feeds..the works. The machine was set up with an air actuated slide
bolted to the t-slots. Load the part..press a button. the sub slide
would traverse across a milling cutter. So the table was seldom every
used, and according to the previous owner..the horizontal spindle was
never used..G

But..someone nailed the end of the slide with a forklift..and drove
the lead screw through the bronze acme nut, which is a double or split
nut. Didnt harm the machine or the lead screw..but scrubbed out the
threads on the flange type adjustable acme nut.

Lead screw diameter is almost 7/8s (.870), with a lead of .200 (. 200
per rev, english dials..yay!...and the screw has a root of .70 as best
as I can measure with a dial caliper. Id have thougth the screw was
metric..but it comes out to 22.22mm..which is a ******* size..so Id
have to guess its 7/8"

Ive got the machinery..but have never cut an acme thread in my life,
nor do I have a piece of bronze big enough to make both halves,
including the adjustable side with the flange. Unless a new one is
prohibitively expensive..Id rather collect pop bottles and buy a new
nut assembly.

Anyone got a good CHEAP source for this sort of thing? Most of the
places I buy BP parts from..dont have any 7/8" stuff

Thanks

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner,

Have you considered casting a nut in whitemetal round the exisitng
thread. Choose an unworn bit of the thread, smoke it very heavily with
an aceylene flame as a release agent building up a layer of soft
carbon. Form a dam round the thread in clay and pour your babbit.
Split and machine the outside of the nut after casting.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:17:19 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

FWIW -- information on this technique available from
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/babb/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks4/babbitt/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/babbitt/index.html

I have all three and these are a good read. I think "Babbit
1910-1916" [first url] has the specific reference to using babbit
to rebuild a stripped thread.

Uncle George