Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andre Langevin

Default Simple test for detecting galvanized ?

Hi all,

I have a old 1967 fuel tank on my boat that was used for gasoline and i'm
converting to diesel. I'm wondering though if the tank "could be" coated
with zinc inside (galvanized). First i wonder how someone could put zinc
inside a tank but anyway do you have an idea on how this could be checked ?
The tank is closed except for one small 2 inches wide hole.

Andre

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:35:40 -0400, Andre Langevin wrote:
Hi all,

I have a old 1967 fuel tank on my boat that was used for gasoline and i'm
converting to diesel. I'm wondering though if the tank "could be" coated
with zinc inside (galvanized). First i wonder how someone could put zinc
inside a tank but anyway do you have an idea on how this could be checked ?
The tank is closed except for one small 2 inches wide hole.

Um, look inside to see if it looks like zinc maybe? Or pay someone who
knows how to handle gasoline tanks to coat it with something compatible
with diesel? Gasoline tanks are nothing to fool with if you're
untrained.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Dave Hinz wrote:

Gasoline tanks are nothing to fool with if you're
untrained.

This warning suggest looking inside with a candle or lighter. That would
open the tank for easy inspection. :-))

Ni-don'tdothat-ck
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andre Langevin

I have found this:

5% Cupper sulfate CuSO4 is a good solution for that, where it forms black
color with zinc and red with steel.

So i will test with some on a cotton swab and check which color it turns,
black is zinc.

?
The tank is closed except for one small 2 inches wide hole.

Um, look inside to see if it looks like zinc maybe? Or pay someone who
knows how to handle gasoline tanks to coat it with something compatible
with diesel? Gasoline tanks are nothing to fool with if you're
untrained.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:06:05 -0400, Andre Langevin wrote:
I have found this:

5% Cupper sulfate CuSO4 is a good solution for that, where it forms black
color with zinc and red with steel.

So i will test with some on a cotton swab and check which color it turns,
black is zinc.

You're aware, I hope, that gas tanks that are "empty" can have enough
residue in them to stay explosive, sometimes for years, right? I went
to an emergency call a few years back where a fellow was cutting an old
gasoline tank, had been empty for as long as anyone could remember.
Took him a couple days to die of his injuries. This isn't the time for
random experimentation. Take it to someone who knows how to handle it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

wrote:
I have found this:

5% Cupper sulfate CuSO4 is a good solution for that, where it forms

black
color with zinc and red with steel.

So i will test with some on a cotton swab and check which color it

turns,
black is zinc.

You're aware, I hope, that gas tanks that are "empty" can have enough
residue in them to stay explosive, sometimes for years, right? I went
to an emergency call a few years back where a fellow was cutting an

old
gasoline tank, had been empty for as long as anyone could remember.
Took him a couple days to die of his injuries. This isn't the time

for
random experimentation. Take it to someone who knows how to handle

it.

We had one like that about a year ago, The guy had bought an OLD service
station and decided to cut up the in ground tanks and pull them in
sections. He ended up in two sections himself.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andre Langevin

Thanks for the advice but i had no intention at all to open the tank other
that unscrewing the top plug and insert a cotton swab impregnated with
copper sulfate to touch the wall of the tank.

The tank has been emptied from gasoline and is now 1/2 full of diesel fuel
already. There is no remaining smell of gasoline, just that nasty diesel
smell !

wrote:
I have found this:

5% Cupper sulfate CuSO4 is a good solution for that, where it forms black
color with zinc and red with steel.

So i will test with some on a cotton swab and check which color it turns,
black is zinc.

You're aware, I hope, that gas tanks that are "empty" can have enough
residue in them to stay explosive, sometimes for years, right? I went
to an emergency call a few years back where a fellow was cutting an old
gasoline tank, had been empty for as long as anyone could remember.
Took him a couple days to die of his injuries. This isn't the time for
random experimentation. Take it to someone who knows how to handle it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andre Langevin

I've opened the sender hole and checked with a flashlight inside. I saw the
bottom of the tank that looked like flaky patterns, can it be electroplated
zinc ?