Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Default Galvanized steel pipes for water supply

frustrated - view profile
Date: Wed, Mar 1 2006 9:36 pm
Email: frustrated
Groups: alt.home.repair
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author
Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 8, 9:36 pm).
Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 8, 9:36 pm).

I just had a new house built, and I discovered they used galvanized
steel pipes for the water supply from our well to the pressure tank
and water heater (about 100-150 feet away). Also the well casing and
pipes inside the well are also galvanized.

I was having some more pipe installed for a gravity tank, and they
said galvanized was the best for this, so they began installing more
galvanized pipe again. When I began to research it, I discovered many
reports of problems with galvanized pipes rusting.

For the new piping, I had them remove what they'd done and they'll
replace it with pvc. But the existing supply line will be difficult
to replace without digging up portions of 2 retaining walls and a
driveway, and the front yard.

Were the builders complete idiots? Or is it really ok to still use
galvanized pipes for this sort of work? If it's not, why are
galvanized pipes still manufactured?