Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default Simple test for detecting galvanized ?

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:06:05 -0400, Andre Langevin

wrote:
I have found this:

5% Cupper sulfate CuSO4 is a good solution for that, where it forms

black
color with zinc and red with steel.

So i will test with some on a cotton swab and check which color it

turns,
black is zinc.

You're aware, I hope, that gas tanks that are "empty" can have enough
residue in them to stay explosive, sometimes for years, right? I went
to an emergency call a few years back where a fellow was cutting an

old
gasoline tank, had been empty for as long as anyone could remember.
Took him a couple days to die of his injuries. This isn't the time

for
random experimentation. Take it to someone who knows how to handle

it.

We had one like that about a year ago, The guy had bought an OLD service
station and decided to cut up the in ground tanks and pull them in
sections. He ended up in two sections himself.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates