Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV

Default 1 VFD--2 Motors can it be done?

I have a 7.5 hp vfd currently used to run a 4500 cfm blower fan. Since
the use is intermittent I want to power my drill press as well. The DP is an
old delta soon to have a new to me 3ph 2hp 230 1740 rpm motor transplant
(more questions on that project later). What I was thinking for the wiring
goes like this--- place a 240v dpdt shut off on wall next to DP. wire it to
shut off power(240 sp) to vfd. next wire a twist lock to the 3 ph output of
the vfd and twist lock plugs to the DP and Blower fan. Plug in what I want
to use and get to work. Also keep my eye out for another vfd for the future
when the dp is farther away from the fan unit.

About the motor change on the DP, I drill mostly mild steel holes to about
3/4" a few to 1" I'd like to set this up with annular cutters for the larger
holes. I'm not sure what my target rpms should be. That is rpm's before I
use the vfd to adjust the Hz. The driven pulley is 8" so I figure a 3" (I
have a 3" & a 7") drive pulley @ 1740 rpm gives me 652.5 rpm @ the spindle
before I lower it with the vfd, that's faster then it runs now but probably
a good top end for me. I'm also not sure how the torque drops off when you
lower the motor speed or what Hz = what rpm. Anybody do this before? I'd
like to size the drive pulley so there's plenty of torque @ the low end.

Thanks

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Wooding

AndrewV wrote:
I have a 7.5 hp vfd currently used to run a 4500 cfm blower fan. Since
the use is intermittent I want to power my drill press as well. The DP is an
old delta soon to have a new to me 3ph 2hp 230 1740 rpm motor transplant
(more questions on that project later). What I was thinking for the wiring
goes like this--- place a 240v dpdt shut off on wall next to DP. wire it to
shut off power(240 sp) to vfd. next wire a twist lock to the 3 ph output of
the vfd and twist lock plugs to the DP and Blower fan. Plug in what I want
to use and get to work. Also keep my eye out for another vfd for the future
when the dp is farther away from the fan unit.

If the voltages of both motors are the same, then the VFD shouldn't care
which motor it drives as long as its within its capacity, which yours
seem to be.

About the motor change on the DP, I drill mostly mild steel holes to about
3/4" a few to 1" I'd like to set this up with annular cutters for the larger
holes. I'm not sure what my target rpms should be. That is rpm's before I
use the vfd to adjust the Hz. The driven pulley is 8" so I figure a 3" (I
have a 3" & a 7") drive pulley @ 1740 rpm gives me 652.5 rpm @ the spindle
before I lower it with the vfd, that's faster then it runs now but probably
a good top end for me. I'm also not sure how the torque drops off when you
lower the motor speed or what Hz = what rpm. Anybody do this before? I'd
like to size the drive pulley so there's plenty of torque @ the low end.

The motor speed is directly proportional to the frequency displayed by
the VFD. If the motor runs at 1750rpm at 60Hz then it will run at
3500rpm at 120Hz and 875rpm at 30Hz.
Normally, at speeds below the base frequency (the frequency the motor
was designed for) the torque remains constant and, since power is rpm x
torque, this means that at 30Hz, for example, the power is half that at
60Hz. Above base frequency the torque drops so that the power remains
constant, so you get half the torque at 120Hz. So its constant torque up
to and including base frequency, and constant power above base frequency.

I hope this helps.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:04:16 +0100, Gary Wooding
wrote:

AndrewV wrote:
[...]

Very nice explanation.

This is why you still want to retain your step pulleys on any machine
you convert to VFD. You can change the speed..but if you start
running out of torque..you simply gear it down, and run the motor
faster. 80% of the time, you will be running in the middle or 1 down,
pulley groove..but when you really need to grunt...step it down on the
lower pulleys and you will retain all the torque you need.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another Monarch EE for sale in WA state...

Not affiliated, just saw it in craigs list:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tls/154507513.html

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV

"Gary Wooding" wrote in message
AndrewV wrote:
[...]

Thanks for a very informative post , its just what I'm looking for. As far
as "sharing" the VFD, given what will happen if something comes loose while
the vfd is powered if I can find a 2hp vfd to dedicate to the DP I'll go for
it, otherwise what's life without a little risk. On the DP I think I'll go
for a lower fixed reduction so it has more power @ low rpms and then just
overspeed for higher rpms. I'll look around for a 2" pulley so I'll have 435
rpm's @ 60 Hz & 2 hp and 217.5 rpm's @ 30 Hz & 1 hp. I end up with a top end
of about 870 rpm a bit slow for something's but ok for what I do with it.
Of course maybe I'll get lucky and find a step pulley with a 7/8's center.

Thanks again

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:37:47 -0400, "AndrewV"
wrote:

Of course maybe I'll get lucky and find a step pulley with a 7/8's center.

Make one. Making your own pulleys is not rocket science. Its rather
easy in fact.

Mark well, then use a cut off tool to slit down the exact center of
each groove, then set and lock your compound and slide, and the apron
and go in with a tripan tool. Do all the right sides or left sides in
each groove, then turn the compound and slide and do all the opposite
sides. Takes longer to discuss than actually do. Well..pretty close
anyways. G

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV

wrote:

Of course maybe I'll get lucky and find a step pulley with a 7/8's center.

Make one. Making your own pulleys is not rocket science. Its rather
easy in fact.

Mark well, then use a cut off tool to slit down the exact center of
each groove, then set and lock your compound and slide, and the apron
and go in with a tripan tool. Do all the right sides or left sides in
each groove, then turn the compound and slide and do all the opposite
sides. Takes longer to discuss than actually do. Well..pretty close
anyways. G

Gunner

I'd gladly take a stab at making my own pulley's, the only problem is that I
don't have a lathe yet.
Hopefully I'll remedy that soon.

Enjoy

Andrew