Gunner

Default Gloat.

I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

Next weekend, the Clausing 1500 will be delivered.

Now Im going out to power up the Hardinge and see if it actually
runs, (and clean off 20 yrs of crud ).

Getting either machine was a total and very unexpected surprise.

The cost? I simply dont bill a (small one man gundrill shop) customer
for labor anymore.

Networking, networking, networking.

Life is good.

Gunner

"Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing." --Strider
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

Sometimes these need new belts. I know somebody who's
a sort-of expert at that stuff! :^)

Congratulations on your latest gloat.

Jim

please reply to:

Alan Raisanen

All you net nannies complaining about Gunner's off-topic posts...see what we
might get instead!?! Aaargh!

Good score Gunner! :-P

"Gunner" wrote in message
I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

Next weekend, the Clausing 1500 will be delivered.

Now Im going out to power up the Hardinge and see if it actually
runs, (and clean off 20 yrs of crud ).

Getting either machine was a total and very unexpected surprise.

The cost? I simply dont bill a (small one man gundrill shop) customer
for labor anymore.

Networking, networking, networking.

Life is good.

Gunner

"Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing." --Strider

Karl Townsend

So,
Next time we get a post from somebody buying an asian POS, because they say
good old American iron can't be found. Are you going to say anything?

Couple a great scores. If you can get that Hardinge completely tooled, you
really have something.

In my case, I've got great deals on four machines that I don't have running
yet. And there's a HUGE HUGE HUGE auction coming. I know I'll have to buy
something there too. Bet your backlog is worse than mine.

Karl

Wayne

what auction?

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:39:19 GMT, Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

Next weekend, the Clausing 1500 will be delivered.

Now Im going out to power up the Hardinge and see if it actually
runs, (and clean off 20 yrs of crud ).

Before and after pics, please.

Getting either machine was a total and very unexpected surprise.

The cost? I simply dont bill a (small one man gundrill shop) customer
for labor anymore.

Networking, networking, networking.

Life is good.

Bueno, bwana.

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------
Gunner

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:36:46 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

So,
Next time we get a post from somebody buying an asian POS, because they say
good old American iron can't be found. Are you going to say anything?

Couple a great scores. If you can get that Hardinge completely tooled, you
really have something.

In my case, I've got great deals on four machines that I don't have running
yet. And there's a HUGE HUGE HUGE auction coming. I know I'll have to buy
something there too. Bet your backlog is worse than mine.

Karl

Actually..ah..it came tooled. Full set of Hardinge collets by 64ths,
Buck 6 jaw, KDK...the usual stuff. But I didnt want folks to get too
bent out of shape..so Im disclosing the bits slowly. G

The Clausing 1500 comes tooled also. Couple 8" 4 jaws, 6" 3 jaw
Yuasa, live centers..the usual stuff.. Im not sure if the collet
closer spindle nose adapter is there, but I probably have one to
fit... G

I did fire up the Hardinge today..and it has some "issues". The
machine is a bit worn, and the ways are also worn to some degree. All
the change gears are there for the odd threads..and the metric ones
too.., and Ill probably have to either shim or replace the cross slide
gib..its a bit looser than I like. Cutting an 18" long bar..I noted
some differences along its length..up to .002"..so the dovetail has
got some scallops in it. I need to find a good straight edge and see
whats going on. I can probably have the dovetail ground on the sides
for a hundred bucks..though I do know where there is a brand new one
still in the wrapper that might fit.....and the way wipers are all
hard as a rock...

My elderly 50's Hardinge TFB actually cuts more accurately at the
moment, so Ill not be changing out anytime soon, though the HLV does
turn a nice nice thread and quickly.

Oh..and the belts are perfect G

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
A.Gent

"Gunner" wrote in message
I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

snip

Just wondering...

How big is that unit?
Does "tool room lathe" imply "little"

whoops...
never mind.

(Google is my friend)

http://www.avatar.com/~kory/hlv.htm

Yours like that?

Jeff

A.Gent

"Gunner" wrote in message
I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

further...

This one is cool: http://www.retrofityourmachine.com/hardingehlvhcnc.htm

For only 25k, you could have these folk retrofit your Hardinge to new CNC capability!

Gunner - I've not seen many machines with a full-width dovetail slide such as this
unit has. Is this very common, or a Hardinge peculiarity?

It *looks* magnificently stable and solid.

(siigghhhhh)

Gunner

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:45:39 +1100, "A.Gent"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

snip

Just wondering...

How big is that unit?
Does "tool room lathe" imply "little"

whoops...
never mind.

(Google is my friend)

http://www.avatar.com/~kory/hlv.htm

Yours like that?

Jeff

Yup..though mine is newer. Early to mid 80s I think, based on the
feed motor control box on the tail stock end. It must have been used
hard daily for the past 20yr sto get noticible wear on it. They tend
to last forever if decently treated.

Gunner

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Gunner

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:01:14 +1100, "A.Gent"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

further...

This one is cool: http://www.retrofityourmachine.com/hardingehlvhcnc.htm

For only 25k, you could have these folk retrofit your Hardinge to new CNC capability!

Gunner - I've not seen many machines with a full-width dovetail slide such as this
unit has. Is this very common, or a Hardinge peculiarity?

It *looks* magnificently stable and solid.

(siigghhhhh)

For a retrofit..this one is better....
http://www.omniturn.com/bin/Attachments.htm

Which I might add..this something I do. In fact...I believe I built
at least two of the machines shown in the above link. I worked for the
west coast OmniTurn distributor for 8 yrs and am now an independant
though still part of the OmniTurn family.

The Hardinge full width dovetail way, while not completly unique to
Hardinge..is best represented by them. One big advantage..if the way
becomes worn over many years time...you simply unbolt the old way, and
bolt on a new one. And its surprisingly cheap. I understand its far
cheaper to buy a new "stick" than it is to have it ground and the
headstock etc etc lowered. And yes, this is one of the claims to
fame..it is remarkably stable, and the entire bed is mounted on 3
spring loaded points, so it never twists or warps. This is one of the
Hardinge trade marks in all of their lathes.

The HLV-H weighs nearly 2000 lbs, so its stable, smooth and you can
barely hear them turning at 3000 rpm. (when in good condition)

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
A.Gent

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
For a retrofit..this one is better....
http://www.omniturn.com/bin/Attachments.htm

Which I might add..this something I do. In fact...I believe I built
at least two of the machines shown in the above link. I worked for the
west coast OmniTurn distributor for 8 yrs and am now an independant
though still part of the OmniTurn family.

Hehehe
Sorry Grandmaw. I'll put the eggs away.

The Hardinge full width dovetail way, while not completly unique to
Hardinge..is best represented by them. One big advantage..if the way
becomes worn over many years time...you simply unbolt the old way, and
bolt on a new one. And its surprisingly cheap. I understand its far
cheaper to buy a new "stick" than it is to have it ground and the
headstock etc etc lowered. And yes, this is one of the claims to
fame..it is remarkably stable, and the entire bed is mounted on 3
spring loaded points, so it never twists or warps. This is one of the
Hardinge trade marks in all of their lathes.

The HLV-H weighs nearly 2000 lbs, so its stable, smooth and you can
barely hear them turning at 3000 rpm. (when in good condition)

Gunner

That's one very pretty piece of work. Some of the pix I Googled up are the closest
I've seen to hard-core lathe porn. (All in good taste, you understand).

You've done good, son!

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

The Hardinge full width dovetail way, while not completly unique to
Hardinge..is best represented by them. One big advantage..if the way
becomes worn over many years time...you simply unbolt the old way, and
bolt on a new one. And its surprisingly cheap. I understand its far
cheaper to buy a new "stick" than it is to have it ground and the
headstock etc etc lowered. And yes, this is one of the claims to
fame..it is remarkably stable, and the entire bed is mounted on 3
spring loaded points, so it never twists or warps. This is one of the
Hardinge trade marks in all of their lathes.

All of their lathes that were mounted on cabinets, that is.
The early bench lathes had the beds simply mounted on two large
feet.

The newer machines have more than 'spring loaded' mounting
points - the entire bed is mounted on a three point kinematic
setup.

The headstock end of the bed has two mounting points, basically
spheres (rounded bolt heads) that bear on the chip pan. The
tailstocks end of the bed has a V-groove with a steel ball
in it, that mounts to the chip pan. So the bed is free to
slide back and forth because of the differential thermal contraction
between the base and the cast iron bed.

Only three points. So it defines a plane. There is no chance that
the mounting of the base can ever apply any twist to the bed.

Any time you see somebody insist that a sensitive level is
vital to set up any lathe bed, ask them why one of the premire
manufacturers says to simply plunk the machine down, and then
push down the tabs on the base so the thing doesn't rock on the
floor, and - done!

Jim

please reply to:

Garrett Fulton

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:36:46 GMT, "Karl Townsend"

snipped

Cutting an 18" long bar..I noted
some differences along its length..up to .002"..so the dovetail has
got some scallops in it. I need to find a good straight edge and see
whats going on. I can probably have the dovetail ground on the sides
for a hundred bucks..though I do know where there is a brand new one
still in the wrapper that might fit.....and the way wipers are all
hard as a rock...
Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Gunner, this interests me as I made about a 14" long test cut on a piece of
steel about 1 1/4" in dia. This was on a Clausing mod. 5310 lathe that I got
about a month ago. It came out .010" larger at the tailstock end than the
headstock end. I put a dial ind. up against the side of the tailstock and
adjusted the two screws on either side to compensate. I got it to .001"
between each end of the cut, but it would increase to a little more than
..002 in the middle of the cut. I assumed this was flex in the workpiece
since I didn't use any kind of steady rest. I was turning between centers
using a lathe dog with it snugged up real well. So this is more likely wear
in my bed ways causing the bigger difference in the center of the cut than
the ends?

Garrett Fulton

Neil Gilmore

"Gunner" wrote in message
I unloaded my Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe last night and got it
into my shop.

Next weekend, the Clausing 1500 will be delivered.

Now Im going out to power up the Hardinge and see if it actually
runs, (and clean off 20 yrs of crud ).

Getting either machine was a total and very unexpected surprise.

The company I work for is moving from 7 separate locations to a new
building. Of course, this means that they do't need some stuff. So they've
been offering it to the employees free (like some old, worn charis, and
such) or auction with minimal bids.

Scored a table with 1/2" steel top and some big tool's table casting, and a
couple chairs for free.

Didn't get the free stock racks, either 5hp compressor, or the band saw (all
cheap).

Got an 8' section of flourescent lights for 2 bucks.

Got an Alva Allen B punch press and a bucket of tooling (labelled as a
grinder, bless the ladies who label the stuff) for $26.

Nobody wanted the fireproof file cabinet. Probably didn't have a flatbed
with the capacity to hold the thing...

Life is good.

It is indeed. I ever tell you my SO's only restriction on tool ownership is
that I have to teach her how to use them?

Gunner

Neil Gilmore

Paul

"Neil Gilmore" wrote in message

Snip
It is indeed. I ever tell you my SO's only restriction on tool ownership

is
that I have to teach her how to use them?

Neil Gilmore

Mine wants to learn how to use the wood lathe. Not so much interested in the
machining tools "yet". But that probably is just because she still lives in
own house...
lack of time I suppose.

Reno, Paul

Karl Townsend

"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message
what auction?

I haven't seen the name posted yet. I talked to the auctioneer, Russ Hilk,
after the last auction. He told me a preliminary list and said early April
date. I'm sure its in Minneapolis. He's got a web site hoffhilk.com

Karl

First of all, finally, my turn.....GLOAT !!!!! benwoodward.com Metalworking 3 February 7th 04 05:08 AM
Gloat??? Bob Paulin Metalworking 9 September 20th 03 06:15 AM
Logan Lathe Tool Gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 September 18th 03 07:45 AM