Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN

Default Easycut bandsaw or larger ?

Hi

I am into model engineering and general pottering - I like the smaller
"Easycut" type of
ortable bandsaw - like this one :

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/Test/acata...de s_121.html

Is this a good choice for general use or is the larger vert/horizontal
combination type more useful ?

thanks
TNT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

TMN wrote:

Hi

I am into model engineering and general pottering - I like the smaller
"Easycut" type of
ortable bandsaw - like this one :

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/Test/acata...de s_121.html

Is this a good choice for general use or is the larger vert/horizontal
combination type more useful ?

thanks
TNT

Have had both, will never go back to a portaband type saw. Suggest the
ubiquitous 4x6" saw, now becoming widely available in a swivel model which
really helps with angled cuts.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN

thank for the quick reply !

The 4x6 is actually cheaper than the Easycut !! - but I have found that
collecting machinary eats up your garage space. I guess that its
portability is its main draw card (for me).

do you use the vertical table position much - would imagine that its
low position makes it difficult ?

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson

I have both, and I like having an option for a quick hack saw on
smaller less precise cuts. With my portable for example, I cut the end
off a 30lb CO2 tank yesterday. I could not have done that on my 4x6.
However there are cuts that aren't appropriate or require more
precision than the portable. YMMV
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

TMN wrote:
thank for the quick reply !

The 4x6 is actually cheaper than the Easycut !! - but I have found that
collecting machinary eats up your garage space. I guess that its
portability is its main draw card (for me).

do you use the vertical table position much - would imagine that its
low position makes it difficult ?

Tim

I used to use it occasionally - never with the large accessory table installed -
but now I have a vertical bandsaw so don't anymore.

The 4x6 on its stand will take up less room than the portaband setup on a bench,
since the bench takes up so much room and just collects clutter anyway.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

I know exactly what you mean by conserving space. For years I was
hearing "Get a 4 x 6, you'll use it all the time", but I thought that I
didn't have room for it. I bought a Porta Band and built a stand for
it. It hung on the wall when not in use.

Then a neighbor had a 4 x 6 which he offered to give me. I couldn't
resist the freebie and found a spot for it in my "stock room". I built
a stand with storage underneath to minimize the space lost. It is
great! So much better than the Porta Band! Get one and *find* some
space for it.

Re vertical mode: I built a permanent "table" for my 4 x 6 that is about
2" x 2". Being that small, it does not interfere with horizontal use
and is enough for vertical use. For vertical use all you *really* need
is enough "table" to resist the cutting action and stabilize the work.
I use it in vertical mode all the time this way, whereas if I had to
convert it, I wouldn't do it nearly as much.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
syoung

mlcorson wrote:
I have both, and I like having an option for a quick hack saw on
smaller less precise cuts. With my portable for example, I cut the end
off a 30lb CO2 tank yesterday. I could not have done that on my 4x6.

I'll bet if you looked again you could actually cut that tank on your
4x6 and I'll go further and say it could be a more accurate cut.

However there are cuts that aren't appropriate or require more
precision than the portable. YMMV
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN

Thanks

Its seems pretty clear which is most used.

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson

mlcorson wrote:
I have both, and I like having an option for a quick hack saw on
smaller less precise cuts. With my portable for example, I cut the end
off a 30lb CO2 tank yesterday. I could not have done that on my 4x6.

I'll bet if you looked again you could actually cut that tank on your

4x6 and I'll go further and say it could be a more accurate cut.

I'll take a look and see if it would work, as I plan on cutting the
other side off very soon. I would certainly have to keep turning it as
the cut progresses.
-Mike

Bandsaw Woodborg Woodturning 2 December 12th 05 08:35 PM
Bandsaw question... Pete C. Metalworking 15 November 26th 05 10:11 PM
Home made Bandsaw question???? Darryl Moore Metalworking 11 August 16th 04 05:36 AM
Cut Tenons With Table-Saw and Tenoning Jig or Bandsaw? Jay Chan Woodworking 11 April 4th 04 12:40 AM
Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model. Jack Straight Woodworking 4 March 2nd 04 03:51 PM