Craig Suslosky

Default OT GMC truck mirror question

I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD extended cab truck with heated,electric
mirrors (they fold in when you push a button) They work great but they
are a touch loose when I put my slide over towing mirrors on, they
move a little at highway speed. Does anyone know how to tighten these
up or should I call the dealer? I guess they are not to tight due to
the fact that they fold in electrically.
Thanks,
Craig
Jeff Williams

Hello,

I don't know how to tighten them but I will warn you, don't break them!
My father is a parts department manager for a GM dealer and I
witnessed someone ask my dad for one that he had broke. The non-heated
one was close to $500.00 (Canadian) and the full-monty version (like
what yours is I think if you have the LEDs in it too) was close to
$800.00!!! I thought the guy was going to faint. Seems his wife wasn't
watching moving the truck and wacked the mirror off on the side of the barn.

Jeff

Craig Suslosky wrote:
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD extended cab truck with heated,electric
mirrors (they fold in when you push a button) They work great but they
are a touch loose when I put my slide over towing mirrors on, they
move a little at highway speed. Does anyone know how to tighten these
up or should I call the dealer? I guess they are not to tight due to
the fact that they fold in electrically.
Thanks,
Craig

Don Foreman

OW! Great engineering, GM: fold in with a push button but break
when hitting an obstacle. DUH!

I once scraped a left (passenger side) mirror off a rented Vauxhall in
Wales when an approaching huge Volvo truck assumed that I was as
skilled a driver as he and could get by with the millimeters of road
he deigned to allow me. The passenger side of the road was a rock
wall. Mirror, meet wall. Bye!

I was delighted to discover upon visit to a Vauxhall dealer that a
replacement mirror cost about 15 pounds. Phew!

I tried those slide-on towing mirrors with my '97 Chev and had the
same problem: they wouldn't stay put at highway speed. I found some
other towing mirrors that hook with nylon straps to the window and
door bottom that work quite well. I miss the big "West Coast"
mirrors I had on the Blazer, but I didn't want to drill holes in the
doors of my new truck some years ago, and still don't. Those sites
*wlll* rust. I ended up brazing brass threaded insert mirror mounts
into the doors of the Blazer when I was gonna paint it anyway. That
worked.

Craig Suslosky wrote:
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD extended cab truck with heated,electric
mirrors (they fold in when you push a button) They work great but they
are a touch loose when I put my slide over towing mirrors on, they
move a little at highway speed. Does anyone know how to tighten these
up or should I call the dealer? I guess they are not to tight due to
the fact that they fold in electrically.
Thanks,
Craig

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:55:17 -0600, Don Foreman
brought forth from the murky
depths:

OW! Great engineering, GM: fold in with a push button but break
when hitting an obstacle. DUH!

I once scraped a left (passenger side) mirror off a rented Vauxhall in
Wales when an approaching huge Volvo truck assumed that I was as
skilled a driver as he and could get by with the millimeters of road
he deigned to allow me. The passenger side of the road was a rock
wall. Mirror, meet wall. Bye!

I was delighted to discover upon visit to a Vauxhall dealer that a
replacement mirror cost about 15 pounds. Phew!

Not bad at all. What's even more exciting is when you get too
close to someone coming at 70mph the other direction and your
mirrors touch.

I tried those slide-on towing mirrors with my '97 Chev and had the
same problem: they wouldn't stay put at highway speed. I found some
other towing mirrors that hook with nylon straps to the window and
door bottom that work quite well. I miss the big "West Coast"
mirrors I had on the Blazer, but I didn't want to drill holes in the
doors of my new truck some years ago, and still don't. Those sites
*wlll* rust. I ended up brazing brass threaded insert mirror mounts
into the doors of the Blazer when I was gonna paint it anyway. That
worked.

Next time you need to do that on a painted vehicle, grab one of
HF's threaded insert pop riveters. Drill a hole, screw a threaded
insert onto the riveter, and pop it into the panel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1210

Iguana: The other green meat!