Larry Jaques

Default OT GMC truck mirror question

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:55:17 -0600, Don Foreman
brought forth from the murky
depths:

OW! Great engineering, GM: fold in with a push button but break
when hitting an obstacle. DUH!

I once scraped a left (passenger side) mirror off a rented Vauxhall in
Wales when an approaching huge Volvo truck assumed that I was as
skilled a driver as he and could get by with the millimeters of road
he deigned to allow me. The passenger side of the road was a rock
wall. Mirror, meet wall. Bye!

I was delighted to discover upon visit to a Vauxhall dealer that a
replacement mirror cost about 15 pounds. Phew!

Not bad at all. What's even more exciting is when you get too
close to someone coming at 70mph the other direction and your
mirrors touch.

I tried those slide-on towing mirrors with my '97 Chev and had the
same problem: they wouldn't stay put at highway speed. I found some
other towing mirrors that hook with nylon straps to the window and
door bottom that work quite well. I miss the big "West Coast"
mirrors I had on the Blazer, but I didn't want to drill holes in the
doors of my new truck some years ago, and still don't. Those sites
*wlll* rust. I ended up brazing brass threaded insert mirror mounts
into the doors of the Blazer when I was gonna paint it anyway. That
worked.

Next time you need to do that on a painted vehicle, grab one of
HF's threaded insert pop riveters. Drill a hole, screw a threaded
insert onto the riveter, and pop it into the panel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1210

Iguana: The other green meat!