Brian

Default looking for 5/8" 16 TPI bolt source

The crank pulley bolt on a BMC A-series engine is 5/8" 16 TPI. I can't seem
to match that to any thread series. Is it a custom truly non-standard
thread, or is there a hope of finding a source for a 1.5" long bolt in that
thread?

Thanks, Brian

Bob Paulin

Brian wrote in article
The crank pulley bolt on a BMC A-series engine is 5/8" 16 TPI. I can't

seem
to match that to any thread series. Is it a custom truly non-standard
thread, or is there a hope of finding a source for a 1.5" long bolt in

that
thread?

Thanks, Brian

If the "B" in BMC stands for "British", and the machine is older, it's
quite possible that you have a Whitworth bolt - a unique creature unto
itself.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Racing Chassis Analysis Services
David Billington

Machinerys handbook lists it as 5/8 -16 UN between UNC and UNF. From my
experience with the A series it uses unified threads and not BSW / BSF.
Are you doing something special with the engine or do you just require a
replacement.

Brian wrote:

The crank pulley bolt on a BMC A-series engine is 5/8" 16 TPI. I can't seem
to match that to any thread series. Is it a custom truly non-standard
thread, or is there a hope of finding a source for a 1.5" long bolt in that
thread?

Thanks, Brian

Brian

I should have looked in Machinery's myself, rather than relying on a
new-fangled Google search! thanks!

I am dry-sumping the engine, and need to drive a minimum 1/2" wide gilmer
pulley for the oil pump in addition to the normal crank damper and water
pump pulley. One design would work better if I could get a longer bolt to
hold the pulleys on with. It's British Motor Company (British Leyland,
etc.) and the engine is a 1071cc Formula Junior engine for a 1960's Cooper.

Brian

Brian wrote:

The crank pulley bolt on a BMC A-series engine is 5/8" 16 TPI. I can't

seem
to match that to any thread series. Is it a custom truly non-standard
thread, or is there a hope of finding a source for a 1.5" long bolt in

that
thread?

Thanks, Brian

David Billington

I think you may have to resort to thread cutting a special.

Brian wrote:

I should have looked in Machinery's myself, rather than relying on a
new-fangled Google search! thanks!

I am dry-sumping the engine, and need to drive a minimum 1/2" wide gilmer
pulley for the oil pump in addition to the normal crank damper and water
pump pulley. One design would work better if I could get a longer bolt to
hold the pulleys on with. It's British Motor Company (British Leyland,
etc.) and the engine is a 1071cc Formula Junior engine for a 1960's Cooper.

Brian

k...

Brian wrote:

The crank pulley bolt on a BMC A-series engine is 5/8" 16 TPI. I can't

seem

to match that to any thread series. Is it a custom truly non-standard
thread, or is there a hope of finding a source for a 1.5" long bolt in

that

thread?

Thanks, Brian

Rawl Bolt Questions Charles Middleton UK diy 10 March 25th 04 02:51 PM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM
sheared Allen Bolt removal Rasputin UK diy 9 December 13th 03 12:59 AM
Identify a bolt thread Essjay001 UK diy 13 August 7th 03 11:04 AM