Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default looking for some 2.5mm shoulder screws

I'm not sure if this is the best forum, but I couldn't find anything
better suited.

I'm looking for some metric 2.5mm shoulder screws, and I've been
calling around and Googling for days unable to find them. It's for an
RC car, and the only ones I can find at hobby shops have a slightly too
long shoulder. I need some with 4mm shoulders, and all I can find are
5mm shoulders.

Does anyone here know where I might be able to find them?

I also thought about buying a 2.5mm die and just re-threading about a
millimeter of the shoulder, reducing its length. Does this sound
reasonable?

I have never used a die before. Would it be feasable to put the small
screw in a vise or pair of locking plyers and use the die, or would
that just deform the head of the screw from tension?

Thanks,
--Farrell F.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

wrote in message
oups.com...

I also thought about buying a 2.5mm die and just re-threading about a
millimeter of the shoulder, reducing its length. Does this sound
reasonable?

Shoulder screws used in die making are hardened. I'd assume the same is true
for the ones you're using. This would make using a die nearly impossible.
You could anneal your screws, but you'll change the their properties and
capabilities.

Shoulder screws are typically specified using the shoulder diameter. If you
have been asking for 2.5mm shoulder screws, you may have been asking for the
wrong thing. I'd assume the shoulder on a shoulder screw with a M2.5 thread
would be 3mm - that's what you should be asking for.

Can you use a washer under the shoulder screw's socket head to make up the
1mm? You'll probably end up taking a financial bath to get your hands on the
screws you're specifying so I'd recommend using the ones to which you have
easy access. Perhaps redesign the part if possible? Counterbore the
component into which the shoulder screw is threaded?

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try Tacoma Screw Products

http://www.tacomascrew.com/default.htm

Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
Shoulder sheet metal screws Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 April 3rd 05 06:57 PM
shoulder screws? jd Metalworking 5 March 29th 05 10:56 PM
Those YUPPIE drywall screws Stormin Mormon Home Repair 18 February 19th 04 05:24 PM
CPU-socket (370) & cooling block: screws with springs, how tight? peter dingemans Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 03 02:35 PM