Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ed_h

Default Home Brew Roll Bender

Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail
components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2
x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

http://members.cox.net/hollingsworth...er_640x480.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

ed_h writes:

http://members.cox.net/hollingsworth...er_640x480.jpg

Nice.

Where do you get your tubing? Is it stainless?

The rollers, they are machined simply to closely fit the tubing?

I'm wondering if one couldn't make a simpler version using a lathe or
milling machine to position the middle wheel?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ed_h

No, its CRS and I got it at a local Metal Supermarket. The rollers
were machined to fit the tubing, but a relatively loose fit.

I saw something recently on one of the boards where someone used a
large vertical mill for the center wheel, and mounted an assembly with
the other two wheels on the table.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Nice!

How much 'grunt' do you need on the arms to get it to roll?

ed_h wrote:

Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail
components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2
x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

http://members.cox.net/hollingsworth...er_640x480.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rick

"ed_h" wrote in message
oups.com...
No, its CRS and I got it at a local Metal Supermarket. The rollers
were machined to fit the tubing, but a relatively loose fit.

I saw something recently on one of the boards where someone used a
large vertical mill for the center wheel, and mounted an assembly with
the other two wheels on the table.

Very nice work, Ed. Don't be too upset if there's only a few comments-you're not a regular
poster, it's on topic, and not much to gas bag about....

I scanned a few pages from the October 2005 issue of the "Journal of Light Construction"
about a guy who makes custom steel beams. There's a few pages with pictures of equipment
he made posted he

http://home.tir.com/~artemus/Growler/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:33:31 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
Nice!

How much 'grunt' do you need on the arms to get it to roll?

I'm wondering if you keep the rollers lubed while rolling the stock?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

The power rollers I've seen used for this application do not need lube
on the material. The only friction you get that lube might help is on
the sides of the die when the material bulges out and contacts the die.
For rectangular material, the bulge is mostly at the bottom of the die,
no more than 1/4 of the material thickness.

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:33:31 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Nice!

How much 'grunt' do you need on the arms to get it to roll?

I'm wondering if you keep the rollers lubed while rolling the stock?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"RoyJ" wrote: The power rollers I've seen used for this application do not
need lube on the material. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As a matter of fact, you need friction to drive the material through.
Adding lube would just make the drive roller slip.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ed_h

ed_h wrote:

Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail
components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2
x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

http://members.cox.net/hollingsworth...er_640x480.jpg

It's really not too bad. I don't even fasten the machine to the table.
I make multiple passes, though, with maybe 1 turn of the top wheel
(1/8 inch advance) per pass. I was afraid the drive wheel might slip,
but it doesn't.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ed_h

No--no lube, but the rollers are a loose fit. The drive roller (where
the bending happens) has a deep profile--a little over half the depth
of the stock. The sides of the profile are slightly tapered because I
was concerned about the stock mushrooming on the inside radius and
getting stuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Nice. Almost as purdy as mine:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...retired_files/
See roller.txt and the accociated jpgs.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

ed_h wrote:
Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail
components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2
x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

http://members.cox.net/hollingsworth...er_640x480.jpg

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Looks good.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

ed_h wrote:
Here is a roll bender I just funished. It is for making curved rail
components for a new deck. The material in the machine is 3/4 x 1-1/2
x 14 ga rectangular tube. Works great.

http://members.cox.net/hollingsworth...er_640x480.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ed_h

I love the steering wheel. If I'd had one around, I probably would
have used it.

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements Andy Woodworking 56 February 1st 06 01:07 AM
FA Roll Bender tbone Metalworking 0 August 20th 05 04:07 AM
Is there a home brew for CA Accellerator? Doug & Pat Black Woodturning 0 July 16th 05 12:52 AM
Home brew frost proof outdoor shower [email protected] Metalworking 5 May 28th 05 02:04 AM
Home Improvement gone bad- chimney liner Artist Home Repair 93 March 18th 05 05:45 AM