Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Default Vise handle ends?

I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them
seems to be customary. Anyone have something different?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Check out page 1143 www.mscdirect.com
Ball knob - threaded.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

axolotl wrote:
I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them
seems to be customary. Anyone have something different?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"axolotl" wrote in message
I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them seems
to be customary. Anyone have something different?

We had to turn a shaft for the handle, and two knobs for our vises in
school. The shaft had reduced ends and the knobs had countersunk holes. The
shaft ends were peened into the countersunk holes to retain the knobs. See:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/smallvise.jpg

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Check out page 1143 www.mscdirect.com

Go to the "Browse" page to enter the catalog page number.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

You can make up two ends from oversize round stock drilled through. Weld
them to the ends of your screw taking care to avoid burn marks or damage to
your machined surfaces.
The first end can be chucked by itself and machined and filed to shape. The
other end has to be welded with the screw attached. Oil the screw/handle
location and chuck the handle with the screw laying against the ways.
Carefully machine the second end and file to shape.
If you don't like the idea of welding then you can machine the ends of
the handle and the knobs with a countersink. Rivet/peen the end into the
countersink and machine clean. You can move a massive amount of material
into the countersink if you are patient with the ball end of your hammer.
Done right you cannot see a line after machining.
Randy

"axolotl" wrote in message
I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them
seems to be customary. Anyone have something different?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've seen small vises with the center bar threaded on both ends, then
larger rod segements tapped axially about half-way through for that
thread and screwed on. The rod segments are usually about as long as
they are wide, they don't look too bad. Bevel the ends slightly to
remove sharp edges. Larger vises sometimes have leather washers at
the handle ends, keeps the noise down when the bar slides through.
I've used rubber o-rings for the same purpose on the smaller vises, you
can also slide them along to keep the bar centered, if desired. For
cheap and cheesy, you could use a long bolt and turn the hex head down
to a cylinder.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:02:33 -0400, axolotl
wrote:

I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them
seems to be customary. Anyone have something different?

The bar handle on the bench vise in my shop has cylindrical ends,
somewhat shorter than their diameter, bored to fit over the turned
down ends of the bar which have then been peened to retain the
cylinder. By countersinking one end of the cylinder, the peened bar
can then be filed flush.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Robin S. wrote:
"axolotl" wrote in message
I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them seems
to be customary. Anyone have something different?

We had to turn a shaft for the handle, and two knobs for our vises in
school. The shaft had reduced ends and the knobs had countersunk holes. The
shaft ends were peened into the countersunk holes to retain the knobs. See:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/smallvise.jpg

Regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,
thats a nice piece of work. Hope I can eventually do as well.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Robin,
thats a nice piece of work. Hope I can eventually do as well.

Thank you. The finish was achieved with a file (if you can't make it right,
make it bright!) The slot in which the moving jaw rides in the vice body was
milled to better than .001" so it actually slides very nicely. At shop rate
that vice is worth more than $3000.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

You can do cylinders or barrels - beer ones - end wise or in a T :-) wood grain optional.
You could 'blue' them brown and the handle blue.

Martin [ causing trouble again ]

axolotl wrote:
I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will
probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something
spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them
seems to be customary. Anyone have something different?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Heat and upset the bar stock to produce a thick end and then dress to
shape.

Check vise and/or jaws? Bill Schwab Metalworking 2 February 6th 06 05:57 AM
warning about lever handle style door locks PipeDown Home Repair 9 January 4th 06 08:53 PM
Adjusting Record vise Larry Spitz Woodworking 1 June 19th 05 07:46 PM
Metal Door & Handle BigWallop UK diy 1 June 15th 04 08:00 AM
Nails Approved as Handle Ties Peter H. Metalworking 5 January 20th 04 02:16 AM