Rhbuxton

Default boiler finish

Hi All,
Several years ago I made a boiler out of a piece of 3/8" thick, 16" diameter
steel pipe. It is kept in a barn/machine shed where it is exposed to moisture
and temperature changes. It is rusting to the point that there is enough to
form a thin sheet on the surface. Oil based machine paint is of little use
because the temperature causes it to burn, peel, or otherwise fail. Does
anyone know of a surface treatment that can stand the heat and prevent rust? I
was thinking of automotive exhaust header paint, or perhaps the rust converter
paint, does anyone else have answers or ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Lewis Hartswick

Rhbuxton wrote:

Hi All,
Several years ago I made a boiler out of a piece of 3/8" thick, 16" diameter
steel pipe. It is kept in a barn/machine shed where it is exposed to moisture
and temperature changes. It is rusting to the point that there is enough to
form a thin sheet on the surface. Oil based machine paint is of little use
because the temperature causes it to burn, peel, or otherwise fail. Does
anyone know of a surface treatment that can stand the heat and prevent rust? I
was thinking of automotive exhaust header paint, or perhaps the rust converter
paint, does anyone else have answers or ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Rick

How about exhaust manifold paint?
...lew...
Tim Williams

There are plenty of hi-temp finishes. Grill paint is good to almost red
heat.

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting

"Rhbuxton" wrote in message
Hi All,
Several years ago I made a boiler out of a piece of 3/8" thick, 16"

diameter
steel pipe. It is kept in a barn/machine shed where it is exposed to

moisture
and temperature changes. It is rusting to the point that there is enough

form a thin sheet on the surface. Oil based machine paint is of little

use
because the temperature causes it to burn, peel, or otherwise fail. Does
anyone know of a surface treatment that can stand the heat and prevent

rust? I
was thinking of automotive exhaust header paint, or perhaps the rust

converter
paint, does anyone else have answers or ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Ken Cutt

Rhbuxton wrote:
Hi All,
Several years ago I made a boiler out of a piece of 3/8" thick, 16" diameter
steel pipe. It is kept in a barn/machine shed where it is exposed to moisture
and temperature changes. It is rusting to the point that there is enough to
form a thin sheet on the surface. Oil based machine paint is of little use
because the temperature causes it to burn, peel, or otherwise fail. Does
anyone know of a surface treatment that can stand the heat and prevent rust? I
was thinking of automotive exhaust header paint, or perhaps the rust converter
paint, does anyone else have answers or ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Old fashion black stove polish ? Its cheap and easily available
Ken Cutt

Rhbuxton

Many thanks to all those who gave me advise on boiler finishes! Your help is
really appreciated.
Rick

Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM