Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need a fairly standard sort of gear, but who makes them?

I have been trying to find a place that manufactures a stock item with
specs similar to the following:

Pitch diameter (PD) greater than four inches but less than five inches.
Teeth inner diameter greater than four inches (I am going to cut a 4"
diameter circle out from the inside).
Number of teeth a multiple of five (preferably a multiple of fifteen),
60-75-90-105-120 are reasonable.
Thickness of 1 to 1.5 inches
Metal (steel preferred).

Mating gear(s) available with a 5:1 reduction, and preferably also 3:1.

Basically, a fairly thin cylinder of metal with teeth on the outside.
PD of 4.5 inches would be optimal.

I've tried Boston Gear, but they don't quite make what I need. Google
turns up lots of custom manufacturers that will create a nice
high-priced bespoke item, but (officially at least) don't "stock"
anything.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer which makes gears in this
approximate size range as a stock item?

Thanks,

Hairy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On 28 Mar 2006 20:54:19 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

==============================
FWIW

One of the first things I would do is get the exact
specifications I am looking for in terms of industrial standard
diametrical pitch/module, pressure angle, face width, tooth
count, bore diameter, etc. Material may also be a consideration.
Can you use a polymer [plastic] gear?

Next go on google, and send these specifications to the huge
number of gear suppliers asking what they have that is close that
you may be able to modify.

If you still can't find anything, it is possible to make a gear.
How good a fit does it have to be. Is this for power
transmission [how much and how fast] or positioning [required
accuracy]? Durability requirement? Volume requirements?

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies,
and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding,
is but swindling futurity on a large scale.
Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), U.S. president.
Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
If by thickness you mean the face width of the teeth, you're unlikely to
find anything off the shelf. A Martin TS1260 (12DP, 60T, 1" face) is
close with a 5.166 OD. If you can live with a 1/2" face a Martin TS2090
(20DP, 90T) meets the rest of your specs. Maybe you could stack two
together to get 1"?

Works for me! Thanks very much. All set now.

There are so many sites that spam the search engines that they've
become pretty much useless for this sort of query. Not to mention that
"gear" is a synonym for "equipment" and even "stuff", in addition to
its more specific meaning of "roundish metal thingie with teeth".

Hope this isn't a duplicate post; my cat just walked over the keyboard
and wiped out the previous attempt at a reply.

Hairy

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Battery life tests Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 September 22nd 04 08:39 PM
Help a newbie out? Brad Brigade Metalworking 34 October 19th 03 05:20 AM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM