Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Need a fairly standard sort of gear, but who makes them?

On 28 Mar 2006 20:54:19 -0800, wrote:

I have been trying to find a place that manufactures a stock item with
specs similar to the following:

Pitch diameter (PD) greater than four inches but less than five inches.
Teeth inner diameter greater than four inches (I am going to cut a 4"
diameter circle out from the inside).
Number of teeth a multiple of five (preferably a multiple of fifteen),
60-75-90-105-120 are reasonable.
Thickness of 1 to 1.5 inches
Metal (steel preferred).

Mating gear(s) available with a 5:1 reduction, and preferably also 3:1.

Basically, a fairly thin cylinder of metal with teeth on the outside.
PD of 4.5 inches would be optimal.

I've tried Boston Gear, but they don't quite make what I need. Google
turns up lots of custom manufacturers that will create a nice
high-priced bespoke item, but (officially at least) don't "stock"
anything.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer which makes gears in this
approximate size range as a stock item?

Thanks,

Hairy

Have you thought about looking at the guts of a standard automotive
transmission?

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***