Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
greybeard

Default Know your local Junkie.

Last week I went to the salvage yard again, didn't see anything of interest
right away, then spied a bench model drill press laying on it's side on a
pallet. Hmm. Interesting. Go back in and talk to Fred, he waves his hand,
meaning "Get the damn thing out of here before I put it in the respective
bins." Ok, no problem.

Get it home, takes a pipe wrench to turn the motor. Not important now, lots
of rust to remove. Rust removed, bearings cleaned, put it back together,
tight spot in the quill travel. No visible source of the tighness, but it's
only for about a quarter inch of the travel, then it's fine. I can live
with that. Motor time, forty five minutes and it's still popping breakers,
it's junk. But, "Where's that 1/2 horse Dayton I picked up for two bucks?"
Found, mounted, now what about the pulley? Oh, well, subsitute for
something halfway close, done. Go out in garage and on the floor is a motor
with the exact pulley it should have, must have come with the wood lathe I
bought from Fred, but I'm modifying that anyhow, one fine motor pulley bored
to fit the motor shaft. Later inspection shows motor that was on it to be
1/2 horse 3450 rpm, not something I'd want to leave on it, and I have doubt
that it ever turned that spindle as tight as it was froze up. That motor is
going back to the junkyard.

Hmm. Motor noisy, squirt oil on bearing, let it sit for ten minutes. Still
noisy, then quiets nicely after a minute of running. A buck and a half for
a new switch and cover plate for the switchbox, done.

Neighbor interested in drill press, I've already got seven, one of which I
use. Ok, toss in a HF drill vise and it's ready.

End of story, for $35 my neighbor has a Craftsman, (King-Seely) drill press,
he's happy, I'm happy, and I owe Fred a beer.

It pays to know your junkie.

Rich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111

Oh the thrill of a good junk-yard catch !
Not too many of them close to where live (miles west of Manhattan).

Does anybody know a good junk yard in NJ ? I called a bunch from YP,
visited a few. None were any good

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
greybeard

"rashid111" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh the thrill of a good junk-yard catch !

Not to be pounding sand in anyone's rear, but in the last year that's the
third drill press, however the first really good one, add on three table
saws, one with a jointer built on the right side and the original pedestal,
a couple of wood lathes, not to mention the pounds of small (Under 1/2")
drills I've brought home. Then there have been more than half a dozen
motors, going from 1/2 horse to 1 1/2. Motors are two bucks, my risk if
they're junk, but I haven't gotten a bad one yet. It's amazing what people
throw away. The older scroll saws, the bench mounted ones, I don't even
bother with anymore, even though the old Dunlaps and Craftsman with all
their beautiful cast iron will outlast four or five of then junk being
dumped on the market today, people don't seem to want them. Bandsaws show
up, but I left the one with the 30" wheels in the hopper, that was a little
big to go down the basement stairs. (But one beautiful job of casting.)

Took me a while, but Fred hides the machines until I look at them. Doing
odd repairs for him doesn't hurt anything either, one hand washes the other.

And no, I don't make a lot on anything, but it's fun fixing the old stuff to
where it's useful again.

Rich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:12:42 -0600, greybeard wrote:

End of story, for $35 my neighbor has a Craftsman, (King-Seely) drill press,
he's happy, I'm happy, and I owe Fred a beer.

You're a good man, Greybeard.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

greybeard wrote:
[...]

I was wondering where the "junkie" part
came in until you said you already had
seven.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:50:02 -0600, "greybeard"
wrote:

"rashid111" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hummm...Id not mind having a nice old scroll saw. Ive got a 36" Oliver
if I want it...but its a smidge big for doing artzy craftzy
stuff...really big...

Ive still got a half dozen King drill presses, a couple Deltas and so
forth that I need to get rid of. I took a load of them to the Visalia
show a year ago...about 20..sold em for $20 each. Got a BIG Walker
Turner that needs a home.

I really wish folks would come by here a bit more often..Ive got lots
of Free Stuff looking for a home, (well..you do have to take a kitten
or puppy G

Btw...anyone every hear of Sioux brand grinders? In that load of
Stuff I brought home a couple weeks ago..was this really really ugly
6" grinder. Had a gooseneck lamp on the back, and both shields..and
both the tables were there. Found it to have a bad switch and didnt
like the look of the wheels, so changed em out.

One of the quietest smoothest bench grinders Ive ever had..including
the Baldors..and it take at least 3 minutes for it to wind down once
you turn it off. Which is marvelous for a little 6" grinder

Never heard of the brand before. It is US made. Chicago IRRC from the
data plate

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message
snip-----

Btw...anyone every hear of Sioux brand grinders?

Didn't that name used to make valve grinding equipment for the auto machine
shop? Sounds very familiar. I'm surprised you haven't run across more
with the name attached.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Gunner wrote:

Btw...anyone every hear of Sioux brand grinders? In that load of
Stuff I brought home a couple weeks ago..was this really really ugly
6" grinder. Had a gooseneck lamp on the back, and both shields..and
both the tables were there. Found it to have a bad switch and didnt
like the look of the wheels, so changed em out.

One of the quietest smoothest bench grinders Ive ever had..including
the Baldors..and it take at least 3 minutes for it to wind down once
you turn it off. Which is marvelous for a little 6" grinder

Never heard of the brand before. It is US made. Chicago IRRC from the
data plate

Gunner

Gunner,
I have a permanently bent right middle finger courtesy of a valve grinder
(smooth as silk) that was 'winding down'.
Don't space out that revolving rock - it can ruin your dasy/month/year/life.

Regards.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

There's some yards in Brooklyn, but with the high demand for scrap metal it
doesn't sit very long before it's shipped out (to China I guess).

Tony

"rashid111" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh the thrill of a good junk-yard catch !
Not too many of them close to where live (miles west of Manhattan).

Does anybody know a good junk yard in NJ ? I called a bunch from YP,
visited a few. None were any good

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

greybeard wrote:
Last week I went to the salvage yard again, didn't see anything of interest
right away, then spied a bench model drill press laying on it's side on a
pallet.

That sounds like the same sort of drill press that goes for $175 in
auctions around here.

--
Gary Brady
Austin,(Short on Tools) TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Gunner wrote:

Btw...anyone every hear of Sioux brand grinders? In that load of
Stuff I brought home a couple weeks ago..was this really really ugly
6" grinder. Had a gooseneck lamp on the back, and both shields..and
both the tables were there. Found it to have a bad switch and didnt
like the look of the wheels, so changed em out.

One of the quietest smoothest bench grinders Ive ever had..including
the Baldors..and it take at least 3 minutes for it to wind down once
you turn it off. Which is marvelous for a little 6" grinder

Never heard of the brand before. It is US made. Chicago IRRC from the
data plate

Sioux has been the name brand in valve grinding equipment since forever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:08:37 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Btw...anyone every hear of Sioux brand grinders? In that load of
Stuff I brought home a couple weeks ago..was this really really ugly
6" grinder. Had a gooseneck lamp on the back, and both shields..and
both the tables were there. Found it to have a bad switch and didnt
like the look of the wheels, so changed em out.

One of the quietest smoothest bench grinders Ive ever had..including
the Baldors..and it take at least 3 minutes for it to wind down once
you turn it off. Which is marvelous for a little 6" grinder

Never heard of the brand before. It is US made. Chicago IRRC from the
data plate

Sioux has been the name brand in valve grinding equipment since forever.

Ive never done valve grinding..so didnt know. Well..they apparently
made one hell of a bench grinder

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3