Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
greybeard

Default Know your local Junkie.

"rashid111" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh the thrill of a good junk-yard catch !

Not to be pounding sand in anyone's rear, but in the last year that's the
third drill press, however the first really good one, add on three table
saws, one with a jointer built on the right side and the original pedestal,
a couple of wood lathes, not to mention the pounds of small (Under 1/2")
drills I've brought home. Then there have been more than half a dozen
motors, going from 1/2 horse to 1 1/2. Motors are two bucks, my risk if
they're junk, but I haven't gotten a bad one yet. It's amazing what people
throw away. The older scroll saws, the bench mounted ones, I don't even
bother with anymore, even though the old Dunlaps and Craftsman with all
their beautiful cast iron will outlast four or five of then junk being
dumped on the market today, people don't seem to want them. Bandsaws show
up, but I left the one with the 30" wheels in the hopper, that was a little
big to go down the basement stairs. (But one beautiful job of casting.)

Took me a while, but Fred hides the machines until I look at them. Doing
odd repairs for him doesn't hurt anything either, one hand washes the other.

And no, I don't make a lot on anything, but it's fun fixing the old stuff to
where it's useful again.

Rich.