Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

Default L-w index head info in drop box

I posted a few scans of information for the L-W chuck Co. index heads. Also
there is information for spiral milling leads with an index head. I don't
see why this information wouldn't work for any brand of index head with 40
to 1 gear ratio.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indexlw.txt

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indexlw.txt

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indexlw2.jpg

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indlead1.jpg

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indlead2.jpg

I hope this helps a lot of people.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Richard W. :
I posted a few scans of information for the L-W chuck Co. index heads. Also
there is information for spiral milling leads with an index head. I don't
see why this information wouldn't work for any brand of index head with 40
to 1 gear ratio.

It probably should, with the same set of change gears available,
and the right fixturing to mount them.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indexlw.txt

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indexlw.txt

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indexlw2.jpg

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indlead1.jpg

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/indlead2.jpg

I hope this helps a lot of people.

Thanks.

One minor niggle, however. The charts are somewhat difficult
read in the heads of the columns where the text is vertical on the
"inlead" files at least.

The problem is that the scans were to .jpg format, a "lossy"
format, and would have been a lot better with almost any other format.
I normally scan things with lots of detail to .tif format, and then
convert that to postscript and from there to .pdf when I want to share
such things. Just plain .tif would be pretty good. Even Window's .bmp
format would be better than .jpg, other than the fact that it has *no*
compression, so the files are gigantic. :-)

Again, thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 03:49:42 +0000,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to Richard W. :
[...]

Don has some good suggestions, but I'll go a few steps
farther. This is just general info, I'm not trying to
complain about what you've been kind enough to provide for
free

Do your first scan and file at a minimum of 200 dpi (300dpi
is better, but bigger file) 256 (shades) GRAY SCALE. This is
sometimes called 8 bit gray scale. Then save the file as
TIFF with LZW compression. The file size can be decreased
some more by converting it to 4 bit gray scale (also known
as 16 shade). Depending on the subject matter, 256 bit maybe
necessary. Most of the time I find that 16 shades of gray is
plenty enough and makes for reasonable file sizes.

This may not be an easy view in a browser using TIFF, but
one can always use Ifranview or Xnview after downloading the
file. You can also covert the original to GIF which can be
viewed in a web browser. GIF is usually a slightly bigger
file though.

There is no good reason to scan stuff which is already black
and white in color. It makes for a huge file size because of
the extra color overhead. By using gray scale any smudges or
shadows on the document (rarely does one have a pristine
black and white document) cause a problem to readability.

No flames or ill intent, just thought I would pass on the
best way to scan, save and publish technical documents. Like
schematics, parts lists, parts blow-outs...

Jpeg is okay for pictures, but it really sucks for text,
diagrams and schematics.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b