Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bradford Chaucer

Default Vibratory polishers

A question for the experts :-)

I have seen references to using vibratory polishers with water mixed with
the abrasive. I have one of those 5 lb table top units with the red
plastic drum, sold at HF and on Ebay for twice the HF price.

Can I use this typr of polisher with a water/abrasive slutty? Should I??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:50:36 -0500, Bradford Chaucer
wrote:

A question for the experts :-)

I have seen references to using vibratory polishers with water mixed with
the abrasive. I have one of those 5 lb table top units with the red
plastic drum, sold at HF and on Ebay for twice the HF price.

Can I use this typr of polisher with a water/abrasive slutty? Should I??

I have a small unit that is made for polishing brass. For shooters.
The instructions were explicit: Do Not Use With Water. Only Dry. I
always use it with water. The amplitude of the vibration was too low
so I added a couple more washers to the weight on the motor. I use it
with ceramic media, not a slurry. The parts are put in with the
ceramic media, water, and soap. The soap type depends on the metal
being deburred. I also have a large one and it gets used basically the
same way. If I just have a few small parts to do then the small one
gets used. I think if a slurry was used it would just sit there with
concentric standing waves on the slurry surface and no polishing
action being done. What exactly do you want to accomplish?
ERS