Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Vibratory tumbler for polishing silverware?

I have used the hot water-baking soda-aluminum foil to remove tarnish
from silver ware, but it doesn't polish it. Polishing is such a PITA
that it made me wonder if vibratory tumbling would polish silver.
Anybody ever done it? How did it work? What medium did you use?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
brassbend

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I have used the hot water-baking soda-aluminum foil to remove tarnish
from silver ware, but it doesn't polish it. Polishing is such a PITA
that it made me wonder if vibratory tumbling would polish silver.
Anybody ever done it? How did it work? What medium did you use?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
It might work but it also might take all the edges off the design, leaving
you with worn down looking pieces. Get thee to a buffing wheel.

LLB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, and god help you if it's only silver plated!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"brassbend" wrote in message

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I have used the hot water-baking soda-aluminum foil to remove tarnish
from silver ware, but it doesn't polish it. Polishing is such a PITA
that it made me wonder if vibratory tumbling would polish silver.
Anybody ever done it? How did it work? What medium did you use?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
It might work but it also might take all the edges off the design,
leaving
you with worn down looking pieces. Get thee to a buffing wheel.

LLB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:57:11 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have used the hot water-baking soda-aluminum foil to remove tarnish
from silver ware, but it doesn't polish it. Polishing is such a PITA
that it made me wonder if vibratory tumbling would polish silver.
Anybody ever done it? How did it work? What medium did you use?

Thanks,
Bob

Greetings Bob,
I use a polishing medium for brass in a vibratory tumbler. It consists
of crushed corn cobs and a mildly abrasive polishing compound. After a
while the polishing compound breaks down and polishes much slower. The
medium can be recharged with liquid polishing compound and it works as
well as when new. This recharging can be done a few times. All that
said, I would not use it to polish my silver flatware without first
trying one piece. A very soft buffing wheel used with either rouge or
Fabulustre would be better. The Fabulustre is made for final polishing
and removes almost no metal. If your silver is just tarnished then a
very fine polishing compound is all that should be used. Rouge
compound is oil based, I think. It seems to come off with solvent
better than just water. Fabulustre is not oily or greasy and just hot
water will remove it.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

What does an imaginary god have to to with it? It's pieces of metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

I was just looking around the web for tumblers and found the Kramer
Industries site. They make industrial vibratory tumblers and one of the
uses that they promote is polishing silver ware. I think that I'll give
it a try. Bob

Tumbler ideas Steve B Metalworking 27 February 16th 06 05:50 AM
Vibratory Tumbler media oldjag Metalworking 12 November 5th 05 09:23 AM
Silverware chest -- help needed Jack Casuso Woodworking 2 October 20th 05 08:15 PM
tumbler vs vibratory [email protected] Metalworking 5 January 12th 05 07:10 AM