Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default OT - IEDs -- technical

"Ignoramus4546" wrote in message
| TMT's question deteriorated into a [somewhat interesting] political
| discussion, but the question as to what to do techically about IEDs is
| a very interesting question and very much on topic of this
| newsgroup. Perhaps, in this sub-thread, we could post our own thoughts
| as to what could be done to reduce the threat of IEDs.

One of the things that the Iraqi people have in abundance now is cell
phones, all to exercise their new-found freedoms. The perverse part of it
is that these are the thing that are used to set off the IED's. Connect up
a bomb to a phone bought from the rack at the local "stop and rob" and use
it as a trigger. When you call your new toy, it'll have a rather
distinctive "ring" to all those in the area.
I'm guessing that many high value vehicles and personnel travel with
cell phone jammers going, which prevents their use. Personally, I think
there should be a system that calls every phone there is in the system at
random intervals, at least once a day, perhaps more depending on certain
criteria such as newness, type of service, how little you paid for your
phone, etc. It'll blow up a lot of bad guys trying to make bombs, and
merely be an annoyance for everyone else, long enough for them to abandon
that technique and look for something else to use. Gotta be careful, they
might come up with something worse!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article . net,
"carl mciver" wrote:

"Ignoramus4546" wrote in message
| TMT's question deteriorated into a [somewhat interesting] political
| discussion, but the question as to what to do techically about IEDs is
| a very interesting question and very much on topic of this
| newsgroup. Perhaps, in this sub-thread, we could post our own thoughts
| as to what could be done to reduce the threat of IEDs.

One of the things that the Iraqi people have in abundance now is cell
phones, all to exercise their new-found freedoms. The perverse part of it
is that these are the thing that are used to set off the IED's. Connect up
a bomb to a phone bought from the rack at the local "stop and rob" and use
it as a trigger. When you call your new toy, it'll have a rather
distinctive "ring" to all those in the area.
I'm guessing that many high value vehicles and personnel travel with
cell phone jammers going, which prevents their use. Personally, I think
there should be a system that calls every phone there is in the system at
random intervals, at least once a day, perhaps more depending on certain
criteria such as newness, type of service, how little you paid for your
phone, etc. It'll blow up a lot of bad guys trying to make bombs, and
merely be an annoyance for everyone else, long enough for them to abandon
that technique and look for something else to use. Gotta be careful, they
might come up with something worse!

The insurgents would quickly adapt to triggering the IED from a code
sent to the cell phone and they would love the superior timing; better
accuracy than waiting for the ringer.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/